From: DebbieSue on
We need to have our shared file to be read only. The problem we have been
having is, if suzy opens the file before we do, we cannot edit the file.
So this is what we also need.
Suzy cannot open the file before us, or if she does we can still edit the
file.
Suzy cannot edit the file at all. She must only be able to open it and read
only.

How can we make this happen?

Thank you,
Debbie
From: JR Hester on
HAve you considered saving the file with password protection? You can
identify a open password and also a modify password. You could give suzy the
open password, but not the modify password. You did not specify your Excel
version- if 2007 office button>save as> select file type> select the Tools
button at bottom of dialog box> general options> provide suitable passwords.

A better solution if available by your IT personnel is assign user
permissions to the file.

HTH

From: Calvin on
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 03:43:01 +1000, DebbieSue
<DebbieSue(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> We need to have our shared file to be read only. The problem we have been
> having is, if suzy opens the file before we do, we cannot edit the file.
> So this is what we also need.
> Suzy cannot open the file before us, or if she does we can still edit the
> file.
> Suzy cannot edit the file at all. She must only be able to open it and
> read
> only.
>
> How can we make this happen?

Convert to PDF?