From: Michael Calkins on

This is very straight forward, if password a and b are not equal to each other, how can I let the user know that with out losing all of the entered information on the registration form?
I was trying this:
---$p1 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p1\" />";
$p2 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p2\" />";
// if they didn't match return
$p1 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p1\" value=\"" . $p1 . "\"/>";---
I was trying to change the value of the variable which shows the input field to have the password already in it.
and either one would just be echo'd depending on the result.
Any ideas please?

From,Michael Calkinsmichaelcalkins(a)live.com

elementFontfont-familyfont-sizefont-stylefont-variantfont-weightletter-spacingline-heighttext-decorationtext-aligntext-indenttext-transformwhite-spaceword-spacingcolorBackgroundbg-attachmentbg-colorbg-imagebg-positionbg-repeatBoxwidthheightborder-topborder-rightborder-bottomborder-leftmarginpaddingmax-heightmin-heightmax-widthmin-widthoutline-coloroutline-styleoutline-widthPositioningpositiontopbottomrightleftfloatdisplayclearz-indexListlist-style-imagelist-style-typelist-style-positionTablevertical-alignborder-collapseborder-spacingcaption-sideempty-cellstable-layoutEffectstext-shadow-webkit-box-shadowborder-radiusOtheroverflowcursorvisibility
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 11:22 -0700, Michael Calkins wrote:

> This is very straight forward, if password a and b are not equal to each other, how can I let the user know that with out losing all of the entered information on the registration form?
> I was trying this:
> ---$p1 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p1\" />";
> $p2 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p2\" />";
> // if they didn't match return
> $p1 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p1\" value=\"" . $p1 . "\"/>";---
> I was trying to change the value of the variable which shows the input field to have the password already in it.
> and either one would just be echo'd depending on the result.
> Any ideas please?
>
> From,Michael Calkinsmichaelcalkins(a)live.com
>
> elementFontfont-familyfont-sizefont-stylefont-variantfont-weightletter-spacingline-heighttext-decorationtext-aligntext-indenttext-transformwhite-spaceword-spacingcolorBackgroundbg-attachmentbg-colorbg-imagebg-positionbg-repeatBoxwidthheightborder-topborder-rightborder-bottomborder-leftmarginpaddingmax-heightmin-heightmax-widthmin-widthoutline-coloroutline-styleoutline-widthPositioningpositiontopbottomrightleftfloatdisplayclearz-indexListlist-style-imagelist-style-typelist-style-positionTablevertical-alignborder-collapseborder-spacingcaption-sideempty-cellstable-layoutEffectstext-shadow-webkit-box-shadowborder-radiusOtheroverflowcursorvisibility

When you output the form again, output it with the values that were sent
to you (take care about deliberate injection though)

For things like select lists, I find I end up creating these from an
array in PHP anyway, so it's easy to loop through the array and set the
selected attribute if that's the value that was picked. Checkboxes and
radio buttons; if the value has been sent by the user, then mark them
checked when you output the html for them.

Don't fill password boxes, as that confuses the user. If they mistyped,
how do they know what value it holds anyway?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Floyd Resler on

On Jun 24, 2010, at 2:22 PM, Michael Calkins wrote:

> This is very straight forward, if password a and b are not equal to each other, how can I let the user know that with out losing all of the entered information on the registration form?
> I was trying this:
> ---$p1 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p1\" />";
> $p2 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p2\" />";
> // if they didn't match return
> $p1 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p1\" value=\"" . $p1 . "\"/>";---
> I was trying to change the value of the variable which shows the input field to have the password already in it.
> and either one would just be echo'd depending on the result.
> Any ideas please?
>
> From,Michael Calkinsmichaelcalkins(a)live.com

If you aren't opposed to using JavaScript, I'd do it there. If you don't want to use JavaScript then you can load the form data from the $_POST (or $_GET) array that was passed back to your script.

Take care,
Floyd

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 14:29 -0400, Floyd Resler wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2010, at 2:22 PM, Michael Calkins wrote:
>

> > This is very straight forward, if password a and b are not equal to each other, how can I let the user know that with out losing all of the entered information on the registration form?
> > I was trying this:
> > ---$p1 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p1\" />";
> > $p2 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p2\" />";
> > // if they didn't match return
> > $p1 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p1\" value=\"" . $p1 . "\"/>";---
> > I was trying to change the value of the variable which shows the input field to have the password already in it.
> > and either one would just be echo'd depending on the result.
> > Any ideas please?
> >
> > From,Michael Calkinsmichaelcalkins(a)live.com
> >

> If you aren't opposed to using JavaScript, I'd do it there. If you don't want to use JavaScript then you can load the form data from the $_POST (or $_GET) array that was passed back to your script.
>
> Take care,
> Floyd

Is Javascript allowed to read the value of password boxes? I was of the
understanding that it couldn't, so checking if a password field matches
another is pretty moot.

From: =?iso-8859-2?Q?David_=C8esal?= on
Yes, it is.

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 14:29 -0400, Floyd Resler wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2010, at 2:22 PM, Michael Calkins wrote:
>

> > This is very straight forward, if password a and b are not equal to each
other, how can I let the user know that with out losing all of the entered
information on the registration form?
> > I was trying this:
> > ---$p1 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p1\" />";
> > $p2 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p2\" />"; // if they
> > didn't match return
> > $p1 = "<input type=\"password\" name=\"usr_p1\" value=\"" . $p1 .
> > "\"/>";--- I was trying to change the value of the variable which shows
the input field to have the password already in it.
> > and either one would just be echo'd depending on the result.
> > Any ideas please?
> >
> > From,Michael Calkinsmichaelcalkins(a)live.com
> >

> If you aren't opposed to using JavaScript, I'd do it there. If you don't
want to use JavaScript then you can load the form data from the $_POST (or
$_GET) array that was passed back to your script.

> Take care,
> Floyd

Is Javascript allowed to read the value of password boxes? I was of the
understanding that it couldn't, so checking if a password field matches
another is pretty moot.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk