From: Andre Polykanine on
Hi everyone,
We are developing a blog service website.
What we need now is the ability to make multiple RSS feeds from
several pages (an RSS of each user's blog, a feed from each timeline -
timelines are our representation of users' favorites; a feed filled
with comments to a separate entry, etc.). What would be great is the
following: a user enters, say, in my blog and sees the mark that there
are RSS feeds. Then he/she clicks the mark or presses a keystroke
(Alt+J in IE8, for instance), finds the feed and double-clicks on it.
Then he/she can either read the feed or subscribe to it. The feeds
have usually file extensions of .rss or .xml.
Question: how do we do that with PHP?
Thanks!

--
With best regards from Ukraine,
Andre

From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello Andre Polykanine,

> Hi everyone,
> We are developing a blog service website.

Very interesting ;-)

> Question: how do we do that with PHP?

By reading the Documentation... :-D

<head>
<title>Blubber Blog</title>
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS" href="index.rss" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Foo" href="foo.rss" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Bar" href="bar.rss" />
</head>

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

itsystems(a)tdnet France EURL itsystems(a)tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle(a)jabber.ccc.de
ICQ #328449886

> We are developing a blog service website.
> What we need now is the ability to make multiple RSS feeds from
> several pages (an RSS of each user's blog, a feed from each timeline -
> timelines are our representation of users' favorites; a feed filled
> with comments to a separate entry, etc.). What would be great is the
> following: a user enters, say, in my blog and sees the mark that there
> are RSS feeds. Then he/she clicks the mark or presses a keystroke
> (Alt+J in IE8, for instance), finds the feed and double-clicks on it.
> Then he/she can either read the feed or subscribe to it. The feeds
> have usually file extensions of .rss or .xml.
> Question: how do we do that with PHP?
> Thanks!
>

> --
> With best regards from Ukraine,
> Andre
> Skype: Francophile
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/m_elensule
> Facebook: http://facebook.com/menelion

In otherwords, to paraphrase:

<DBAG_MODE>
"We have this super cool new idea that's going to revolutionize the web and
blogs and cloud computing and we might even create our own new buzzword. We
heard you can do this with PHP. We just don't have any code written, so
could you guys write it for us. That'd be swell. kthxbye."

;-)

Dude. Andre. Let me break it down like a fraction, as to how this list
works.

YOU post some code that you are struggling with, or you post some SPECIFIC
question, and the generous subscribers to this list decide if your question
is worthy of their time to reply.

Your "question" (for lack of a better term) was devoid of either of those
things.

Now, had you said, "How can I formulate an RSS feed?", I might point you to
this:
http://www.phpclasses.org/package/560-PHP-XML-RSS-feed-generator-for-conten
t-syndication-.html

Or if you had said, "How does one double click?" (since that is NOT a
web-friendly navigation method by default), I might point you in this
direction:

<script>
onload = function () {
document.getElementById("textarea").ondblclick = function () {
alert('Double Clicked!') }
}
</script>
then this in the body
<textarea id="textarea"></textarea>

Or even if you said, "How do I steal, er um, read an XML file from another
site?" Then someone might show you these functions (since you clearly
missed them when you RTFPM)
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.file-get-contents.php
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.simplexml.php
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/book.dom.php

But again, your question was so vague that I (and everyone else) probably
has nowhere to begin to help you and therefore most likely won't. Given the
above advice, you might consider breaking your questions down into PHP
related specific examples.

</DBAG_MODE>

From: Andre Polykanine on
Hello Michelle,

Hm. link rel="alternate"... that's a good one, thanks (btw, you say me
that I should RTFM, but if I knew what to read....).
Now there are two questions:
1. How do I do those .RSS files with PHP? All of mmy blog entries and
other stuff are in MySql. There are classes that can echo the
appropriate data as RSS, but there will be more .PHP files, not
..RSS/.XML ones. So how do we manage that?
2. Should I make a separate .RSS file for each type of feeds (blog
feed, comments feed, timeline feed, news feed)?
thanks!

From: Jason Pruim on

On Aug 27, 2010, at 5:55 AM, Andre Polykanine wrote:

> Hello Michelle,
>
> Hm. link rel="alternate"... that's a good one, thanks (btw, you say me
> that I should RTFM, but if I knew what to read....).
> Now there are two questions:
> 1. How do I do those .RSS files with PHP? All of mmy blog entries and
> other stuff are in MySql. There are classes that can echo the
> appropriate data as RSS, but there will be more .PHP files, not
> .RSS/.XML ones. So how do we manage that?
> 2. Should I make a separate .RSS file for each type of feeds (blog
> feed, comments feed, timeline feed, news feed)?
> thanks!

Andre...

What I did when I created my RSS feed is I went and read the RSS spec
and found out what it needed to create it.[1]

Read through that and it should get you started. If your competent
with PHP then all you would need to do is loop through your result set
to display the results.

If you're not quite sure if you know how to do it though... I as well
as many other people on the list I'm sure are available to hire to get
it done :)

[1] http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/rss/rss.html