From: Ivan Shmakov on
From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.unix.shell, Ivan Shmakov <ivan(a)main.uusia.org> wrote:

[delete]

> Subject: Re: Man vs. Info: documenting the software

They both suck.

I convert them to, or obtain them as, simple, one page HTML or
plain text documents so that I can easily add notes to them.

And use a script to do the same job as apropos does.

Only the geeks at GNU could make learning how to
use an application or utililty a double chore
by creating the info browser, which takes a
college course to learn to use.

Sid

From: Ivan Shmakov on
From: Seebs on
On 2010-02-03, Ivan Shmakov <ivan(a)main.uusia.org> wrote:
> S> Exactly. I can search for a word that I am sure would occur in the
> S> *discussion* of a thing, without knowing what name the author would
> S> have picked for the *heading*.

> Exactly. And you can do the same with Info.

Can I? I've never found a way, because the manual is broken up into nodes,
and a search seems to only search the current node.

> Don't you confuse the index with the table of contents here?
> (Note also that both are distinct to Info menus.)

I don't *think* so.

> Indeed, the index shows the headings (see below for an example),
> but not {\em just} the headings.

> - --cut: (libc) Concept Index --
> * abort signal: Program Error Signals.
> * aborting a program: Aborting a Program.

Both of these are headings. If the discussion of "aborting a program"
contained a word that wasn't indexed, searching the index wouldn't find
it, but searching the whole document would.

> The computers are somewhat different to the record stores, as
> you can easily have the same record pointed from several
> sections at once.

If it's not in EVERY section, I still have the very real risk of looking
in the wrong section and not finding it. And if it is, the sections are
useless to me, because they aren't different from each other.

There are things for which sectioned views of the world are nice, but there
are times when I just want to search the whole document.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Seebs on
On 2010-02-03, Ivan Shmakov <ivan(a)main.uusia.org> wrote:
> ... I wonder, whether Vim will ever support anything to the
> effect of ?set -o emacs??

Er, what? "set -o emacs" and "set -o vi" are shell commands, not editor
commands.

> I wanted to note that the Man pages are there out of necessity,
> not because they're ?standard?.

The way to show that something is not standard would be to show that the
standard doesn't specify it, not to appeal to whether a particular system
has it. Many systems lack many features which are clearly standardized.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last