From: Paul Pedersen on
Here is @@version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (X64)
Mar 29 2009 10:11:52
Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation
Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7600: )

I think I have figured out the update system. It seems like the hotfix
rollups are beta versions of fixes that will eventually appear in the next
service pack. Since they are betas, MS recommends against deployment in
production without extensive prior testing. That's also the reason it takes
a special request to get them.

It seems that in general, people prefer not to upgrade until an official SP
is released, and won't install any hotfixes unless they are critical to
their particular operation.

Also, it looks like SP2 will come out in early fall.

Of course, none of that addresses my question. But at least I learned
something.

From: Chris Wood on
Paul,

We have used CU's here (SQL2005 only) because they fix some situations that
we have and in most cases they are stable enough. If you notice they come
out every 2 months and if a previous one has a regression issue it should at
least be acknowledged in the next CU. If you cannot wait for SP2 but can try
out and test a CU, CU8 will appear in mid May.

They are now easy to get as at the top of the KB for the CU there is a View
and request hotix downloads link. Just click it and make sure you request
the correct version (32_bit/64_bit) because it defaults to the version of
the machine you are making the request from. So if you want 64_bit but are
on a 32_but O/S click at 1 Show hotfixes for all platforms and languages.