From: Anton Erasmus on
Hi,

I have a PC on which the on-board parallel port has blown. I have
bought a Netmos NM9835 based multi I/O card. This chipset supports
the remapping of it's ports to "legacy" port addresses, but the
standard driver disks only have a DOS utility for doing so. I have
searched for a utility that can do this under Windows 2000, but
without any success. Most of the programming and debugging dongles are
only supported using a parallel ports at a so called legacy port
addresses.
From the NM9835 datasheet it looks like if one can get a Multi-I/O
card that uses this IC together with an external EEPROM that can be
reconfigured using the DOS utility, then such a card will be seen by
Windows as being a "legacy" card. The NM9835 supports the loading of
configuration values from an external EEPROM at powerup.
Unfortunately all the NM9835 cards I could find does not have such an
external configuration EEPROM.

Regards
Anton Erasmus

From: Mark McDougall on
Anton Erasmus wrote:

> I have a PC on which the on-board parallel port has blown. I have
> bought a Netmos NM9835 based multi I/O card.

In terms of monetary outlay *and* your time invested, wouldn't it have
been cheaper to simply buy a new (or even used) motherboard?

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216
From: Neil on
Anton Erasmus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PC on which the on-board parallel port has blown. I have
> bought a Netmos NM9835 based multi I/O card. This chipset supports
> the remapping of it's ports to "legacy" port addresses, but the
> standard driver disks only have a DOS utility for doing so. I have
> searched for a utility that can do this under Windows 2000, but
> without any success. Most of the programming and debugging dongles are
> only supported using a parallel ports at a so called legacy port
> addresses.
> From the NM9835 datasheet it looks like if one can get a Multi-I/O
> card that uses this IC together with an external EEPROM that can be
> reconfigured using the DOS utility, then such a card will be seen by
> Windows as being a "legacy" card. The NM9835 supports the loading of
> configuration values from an external EEPROM at powerup.
> Unfortunately all the NM9835 cards I could find does not have such an
> external configuration EEPROM.
>
> Regards
> Anton Erasmus

Did you Disable the Bad on board Ports?
Disable it in the BIOS Then try to reconfigure the new card in System.
From: CBFalconer on
Mark McDougall wrote:
> Anton Erasmus wrote:
>
>> I have a PC on which the on-board parallel port has blown. I have
>> bought a Netmos NM9835 based multi I/O card.
>
> In terms of monetary outlay *and* your time invested, wouldn't it
> have been cheaper to simply buy a new (or even used) motherboard?

Probably not. At the rate proper parallel ports are disappearing
from new machines, that card has a good chance of transferring to
future machines.

--
Some informative links:

From: Anton Erasmus on
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 05:01:31 GMT, Neil <NeilKurzm(a)worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>Anton Erasmus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a PC on which the on-board parallel port has blown. I have
>> bought a Netmos NM9835 based multi I/O card. This chipset supports
>> the remapping of it's ports to "legacy" port addresses, but the
>> standard driver disks only have a DOS utility for doing so. I have
>> searched for a utility that can do this under Windows 2000, but
>> without any success. Most of the programming and debugging dongles are
>> only supported using a parallel ports at a so called legacy port
>> addresses.
>> From the NM9835 datasheet it looks like if one can get a Multi-I/O
>> card that uses this IC together with an external EEPROM that can be
>> reconfigured using the DOS utility, then such a card will be seen by
>> Windows as being a "legacy" card. The NM9835 supports the loading of
>> configuration values from an external EEPROM at powerup.
>> Unfortunately all the NM9835 cards I could find does not have such an
>> external configuration EEPROM.
>>
>> Regards
>> Anton Erasmus
>>

>Did you Disable the Bad on board Ports?
>Disable it in the BIOS Then try to reconfigure the new card in System.

Yes, the M/B ports have been disabled.
Using the DOS remap utility after booting into DOS from a floppy works
fine. Checking the functionality of the ports using old DOS utilities
works fine for the legacy addresses.
Under windows the port work when I drive a printer, but for
programming CPLDs or MCUs, it must be mapped to the legacy port
addresses.
The "Change Settings" under Device Manager in the resources tab is
greyed out.

Regards
Anton Erasmus

Pages: 1