From: Dan Joseph on
Howdy,

This is a math question, but I'm doing the code in PHP, and have expunged
all resources... hoping someone can guide me here. For some reason, I can't
figure this out.

I want to take a group of items, and divide them into equal groups based on
a max per group. Example.

1,252,398 -- divide into equal groups with only 30 items per group max.

Can anyone guide me towards an algorithm or formula name to solve this? PHP
code or Math stuff is fine. Either way...

Thanks...

--
-Dan Joseph

www.canishosting.com - Unlimited Hosting Plans start @ $3.95/month. Promo
Code "NEWTHINGS" for 10% off initial order

http://www.facebook.com/canishosting
http://www.facebook.com/originalpoetry
From: Stephen on
Dan Joseph wrote:
> I want to take a group of items, and divide them into equal groups based on
> a max per group. Example.
>
> 1,252,398 -- divide into equal groups with only 30 items per group max.

1,252,398 DIV 30 = 41,746 groups of 30.

1,252,398 MOD 30 = 18 items in last group

Stephen

From: Dan Joseph on
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Stephen <stephen-d(a)rogers.com> wrote:

> 1,252,398 DIV 30 = 41,746 groups of 30.
>
> 1,252,398 MOD 30 = 18 items in last group

Well, the only problem with going that route, is the one group is not
equally sized to the others. 18 is ok for a group in this instance, but if
it was a remainder of only 1 or 2, there would be an issue. Which is where
I come to looking for a the right method to break it equally.

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 10:17 -0400, Dan Joseph wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Stephen <stephen-d(a)rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > 1,252,398 DIV 30 = 41,746 groups of 30.
> >
> > 1,252,398 MOD 30 = 18 items in last group
> >
> Well, the only problem with going that route, is the one group is not
> equally sized to the others. 18 is ok for a group in this instance, but if
> it was a remainder of only 1 or 2, there would be an issue. Which is where
> I come to looking for a the right method to break it equally.

How do you mean break it equally? If the number doesn't fit, then you've
got a remainder, and no math is going to change that. How do you want
that remainder distributed?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk