From: S. B. Gray on
Sometimes (not yet well-defined) I try to stop a loop, (either because
it's running some wrong code or because the loop will take days or
hours) with alt-comma but it keeps going. More than once I have had to
shut the whole system off. Granted, Microsoft does not provide a
competent universal interrupt (which the 35-year-old Tops-10 did very
nicely) but maybe Mathematica can be modified to stop more easily. ?? Is anyone
else bummed by this?

Steve Gray

From: peter on
"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't
feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever,
until you are dead. "

from "The Terminator" - sorry couldn't resist it.

Peter

From: David Bailey on
On 11/08/10 09:47, S. B. Gray wrote:
> Sometimes (not yet well-defined) I try to stop a loop, (either because
> it's running some wrong code or because the loop will take days or
> hours) with alt-comma but it keeps going. More than once I have had to
> shut the whole system off. Granted, Microsoft does not provide a
> competent universal interrupt (which the 35-year-old Tops-10 did very
> nicely) but maybe Mathematica can be modified to stop more easily. ?? Is anyone
> else bummed by this?
>
> Steve Gray

If you get desperate, you can press Cntrl-Shift-Esc in Windows, which
brings up the Task Manger, from which you can kill the kernel and if
necessary the FrontEnd also.

Alternatively, you can create a batch script containing one or both of:

taskkill.exe /im MathKernel.exe /t /f
taskkill.exe /im MathKernel.exe /t /f

David Bailey

http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

From: Sjoerd C. de Vries on
You better try alt-period (abort) instead of alt-comma (interrupt). I
find that this works better if I use the left alt button instead of
the alt button for some reason. Your milage may vary. Sometimes using
the same function in the Evaluation menu helps. Otherwise, just kill
the kernel (not the front-end) either in the Evaluation menu or the
task manager.

Cheers -- Sjoerd

From: Themis Matsoukas on
On the Mac at least, I can usually cut off a running calculation by quitting the kernel (using the pull down menu).

When this fails, I can force quit Mathematica from the OS. I don't know if there is an equivalent action on windows.

I never had to shut down the whole computer because I couldn't stop Mathematica.

Themis