From: tchow on
In article <tB9un.26508$3D3.20149(a)newsfe19.iad>,
Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>You might be right here and it might not have helped. But it also might
>have helped

How could it have possibly helped? Introducing an irrelevant philosophical
point, using the same words to mean something else entirely, cannot possibly
help clarify a technical mathematical point.

>and, for what it's worth, I wouldn't pretend to know whether
>or not in Phil's mind he actually got confused between what I said and the
>content of Tarski's theorem: both seem to be about the undefinability
>of "truth" after all, despite certain intuition.

So you agree that (1) what you said, and (2) Tarski's theorem, are two
different things that seem to be the same. What good could it possibly
do to introduce such confusion into the discussion? I don't know if
Phil got confused or not either, but you could certainly have reduced
the risk of confusion by not introducing it in the first place.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will
From: Nam Nguyen on
tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
> In article <tB9un.26508$3D3.20149(a)newsfe19.iad>,
> Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>> You might be right here and it might not have helped. But it also might
>> have helped
>
> How could it have possibly helped? Introducing an irrelevant philosophical
> point, using the same words to mean something else entirely, cannot possibly
> help clarify a technical mathematical point.

That's your opinion (if not problem): other might not see that as "irrelevant";
and I already stated what I believe relevant: 'both seem to be about the
undefinability of "truth" after all, despite certain intuition'.

>> and, for what it's worth, I wouldn't pretend to know whether
>> or not in Phil's mind he actually got confused between what I said and the
>> content of Tarski's theorem: both seem to be about the undefinability
>> of "truth" after all, despite certain intuition.
>
> So you agree that (1) what you said, and (2) Tarski's theorem, are two
> different things that seem to be the same.

Why do you believe 2 different issues, "things" can't be related, similar,
...., without further information?

> What good could it possibly
> do to introduce such confusion into the discussion?

I don't get confused by hearing 2 different issues that seem related.
Are you getting confused as such?

> I don't know if
> Phil got confused or not either, but you could certainly have reduced
> the risk of confusion by not introducing it in the first place.

Risk to whom? Should people be quite just because you feel that may
- or may not - reduce a risk of confusion? I'd think you know the phrase
"benefit of a doubt", don't you?
From: tchow on
In article <SJbun.75790$9b5.12458(a)newsfe01.iad>,
Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>That's your opinion (if not problem): other might not see that as "irrelevant";
>and I already stated what I believe relevant: 'both seem to be about the
>undefinability of "truth" after all, despite certain intuition'.
[...etc...]

It's been long enough since we crossed swords that I'd forgotten how
hilarious your posts were. Thanks for the entertainment, but I think
I've had my fill for now.
From: Nam Nguyen on
tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
> In article <SJbun.75790$9b5.12458(a)newsfe01.iad>,
> Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>> That's your opinion (if not problem): other might not see that as "irrelevant";
>> and I already stated what I believe relevant: 'both seem to be about the
>> undefinability of "truth" after all, despite certain intuition'.
> [...etc...]
>
> It's been long enough since we crossed swords that I'd forgotten how
> hilarious your posts were. Thanks for the entertainment, but I think
> I've had my fill for now.

Sure. Just call posts you don't like to hear as "hilarious" and leave.
What's really new about your response anyway? (I've seen that a few times
in the past already).
From: Nam Nguyen on
Nam Nguyen wrote:
> tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
>> In article <SJbun.75790$9b5.12458(a)newsfe01.iad>,
>> Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>>> That's your opinion (if not problem): other might not see that as
>>> "irrelevant";
>>> and I already stated what I believe relevant: 'both seem to be about the
>>> undefinability of "truth" after all, despite certain intuition'.
>>
>> It's been long enough since we crossed swords that I'd forgotten how
>> hilarious your posts were. Thanks for the entertainment, but I think
>> I've had my fill for now.
>
> Sure. Just call posts you don't like to hear as "hilarious" and leave.
> What's really new about your response anyway? (I've seen that a few times
> in the past already).

I also think it's a kind of "entertainment" to listen to an Inquisition
voice and attitude in modern days, as we're living in!