From: Simon Geard on
On 19/01/2010 20:31, Richard Maine wrote:
> Paul Hirose <jvcmz89uwf(a)earINVALIDthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Nowadays even a budget Windows machine does floating point in hardware
>> per the IEEE standard, so I believe arc cosine of -1 is a safe way to
>> compute pi, for example. However, I'd be interested to hear of any
>> cases where this would have caused trouble.
>
> Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!
>
> Hey, Fortran is often used for numeric stuff and us folk are supposed to
> have at least a surface acquaintance with issues of numeric accuracy.

> <snip>

> I use literals.

Which makes me wonder why there aren't intrinsic parameters to go with
intrinsic functions. Presumably they have been suggested for possible
inclusion in f90, 95, 2003 and 2008 but rejected.

Simon
From: Les Neilson on

"Simon Geard" <simon(a)whiteowl.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 19/01/2010 20:31, Richard Maine wrote:
<snip>

> Which makes me wonder why there aren't intrinsic parameters to go with
> intrinsic functions. Presumably they have been suggested for possible
> inclusion in f90, 95, 2003 and 2008 but rejected.
>
> Simon

The first difficulty would be specifying a *finite* list of constants (there
are rather a lot across the sciences that I can think of and presumably
plenty more of which I am unaware or have forgotten - someone's favourite
constant being left out might cause a diplomatic incident!)

Then there are those constants which are continually being refined to
greater accuracy. Compiler vendors have enough to do without having to keep
track of changes to the accepted value for something.

But it was a nice thought :-)

Les

From: Gordon Sande on
On 2010-01-20 06:42:25 -0400, "Les Neilson" <l.neilson(a)nospam.co.uk> said:

> "Simon Geard" <simon(a)whiteowl.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On 19/01/2010 20:31, Richard Maine wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> Which makes me wonder why there aren't intrinsic parameters to go with
>> intrinsic functions. Presumably they have been suggested for possible
>> inclusion in f90, 95, 2003 and 2008 but rejected.
>>
>> Simon
>
> The first difficulty would be specifying a *finite* list of constants
> (there are rather a lot across the sciences that I can think of and
> presumably plenty more of which I am unaware or have forgotten -
> someone's favourite constant being left out might cause a diplomatic
> incident!)
>
> Then there are those constants which are continually being refined to
> greater accuracy.

When was the last time that the value of the mathematical constant pi
was changed?
Or any other mathematical constant for that matter.

The legal (not mathematical) value of pi used for computing real estate
frontages
of curved properties does not count as that value is well known to be 4 in some
jurisdictions!

From: user1 on
Gordon Sande wrote:

> When was the last time that the value of the mathematical constant pi
> was changed?

Indiana House Bill No. 246, 1897

unsuccessful?

From: Dan Nagle on
Hello,

On 2010-01-20 05:42:25 -0500, "Les Neilson" <l.neilson(a)nospam.co.uk> said:

> "Simon Geard" <simon(a)whiteowl.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Which makes me wonder why there aren't intrinsic parameters to go with
>> intrinsic functions. Presumably they have been suggested for possible
>> inclusion in f90, 95, 2003 and 2008 but rejected.

> The first difficulty would be specifying a *finite* list of constants
> (there are rather a lot across the sciences that I can think of and
> presumably plenty more of which I am unaware or have forgotten -
> someone's favourite constant being left out might cause a diplomatic
> incident!)
>
> Then there are those constants which are continually being refined to
> greater accuracy. Compiler vendors have enough to do without having to
> keep track of changes to the accepted value for something.

Leaving aside the issue of mathematical versus physical
constants, it has been considered, and rejected.

The issue was the difficulty of anticipating the intended use
of the constant. Is it to be used as a threshold, or a sentinel,
or a conversion factor, or something else?

Absent a convincing answer to the above question, the proposals
were shelved for lack of resources on the standards committees.

YMMV

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle