From: Daryl McCullough on
Newberry says...

>On Aug 10, 8:20=A0am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
>wrote:

>> >Two reasons
>> >a) ~(Ex)(Ey)(Pxy & Qy) is a hierarchy of vacuous sentences.
>>
>> In what sense is it vacuous?
>
>Again, I have to simplify for the sake of brevity.Let us pick y = #G = m.
>We obtain
>
>~(Ex)(Pxm & Qm)
>
>According to Strawson's logic of presupposition Pxm must be non-empty
>if the above is to be T v F.

I think that either you are misinterpreting Strawson, or that
Strawson's theory is complete nonsense. The statement
"~(Ex) (Pxm & Qm)" does not have "(Ex) Pxm" as a
presupposition. Why in the world would anyone think that?

I understand why someone might consider

~(Ex)(Pxm & Qm)

a little strangely written. Since Qm does not depend on x,
there is no reason to leave it inside the quantifier. You
could rewrite the formula in the form:

~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm)

which is logically equivalent. We can certainly introduce
some kind of "normal form" for first-order logic, in which
we simplify formulas as much as possible, and rewrite them
so that formulas bound by quantifiers must all mention the
variable quantified. That's a tidying up rule, which has no
impact on the *meaning* of the formula. Or at least, it
*shouldn't* have any impact.

>We happen to know that
>
>~(Ex)Pxm

No, you don't happen to know that. What you know is that
*if* the theory is consistent, then ~(Ex) Pxm. We have no
way, in general, to know whether a theory is consistent
or not. So we have no way of knowing whether the sentence

~(Ex)(Pxm & Qm)

is "vacuous" in your sense. A proof is necessary to reach
that conclusion. But if you need to *prove* that a sentence
is vacuously true, then it clearly is *not* vacuously true,
in any meaningful notion of the word "vacuous". If it is
difficult (but not impossible) to establish the truth of
something, then it means to me that it is not vacuous.

>In this sense the sentence is vacuous.
>
>> If there actually *is*
>> a proof of the Godel sentence, then that statement
>> would be provably *false*. So that statement *could*
>> be false, so it certainly is not vacuously true.
>
>If ~(Ex)Pxm then it certainly is "vacuously true".

So you are saying that if it is true, then it is vacuously
true. What is the point of adding the adjective "vacuously"
in this case? It contributes nothing. Just say "It is true".

Your vacuously true sentences has the main property that
people would want for true sentences, namely that you can't
derive a false statement from a collection of vacuously
true statements.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
Newberry says...

>But anyway the point is that IF
>~(Ex)Pxm
>then
>~(Ex)[Pxm & ((x = x &) Qm)]
>is vacuous.

Why? In the case we are talking about,
Qm is assumed to be true. In that case,
Pxm & x=x & Qm
means the same thing as
Pxm. The conjunction of any statement S
with any true statement produces a new
statement that is equivalent to S.

>I do not know what you are trying to argue here.

I'm arguing that there is no sensible notion of
"vacuous" according to which ~(Ex)Pxm & ((x = x &) Qm)
is vacuous.

>By "vacuous" I mean that the subject class is empty.
>

>> >In this sense the sentence is vacuous.

>> >If ~(Ex)Pxm then it certainly is "vacuously true".
>>
>> So you are saying that if it is true, then it is vacuously
>> true. What is the point of adding the adjective "vacuously"
>> in this case? It contributes nothing. Just say "It is true".
>
>By "it" I meant
>~(Ex)[Pxm & ((x = x &) Qm)]

which is equivalent to
~(Ex) Pxm

>> Your vacuously true sentences has the main property that
>> people would want for true sentences, namely that you can't
>> derive a false statement from a collection of vacuously
>> true statements.
>
>In the logic of presuppositions vacuous sentences are NOT true.

I know. My point is that you are making a *meaningless* distinction
between vacuous statements and true statements. Vacuous statements
share with true statements the desirable property that they can
never be used to derive a *false* statement. Furthermore, a pair
of vacuous statements can be used to derive a *non-vacuous* statement.
For example:

"All counterexamples to GC are multiples of 3"

"All counterexamples of GC are of the form 2*p where p is prime"

These two vacuous statements allow us to conclude:

"There are no counterexamples to GC".

So vacuous statements can be useful in deriving nonvacuous statements.
You haven't given a coherent reason to care about the distinction between
vacuous and nonvacuous statements.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
Newberry says...

>On Aug 11, 11:03=A0am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
>wrote:
>> Newberry says...
>>
>> >But anyway the point is that IF
>> >~(Ex)Pxm
>> >then
>> >~(Ex)[Pxm & ((x =3D x &) Qm)]
>> >is vacuous.
>>
>> Why? In the case we are talking about,
>> Qm is assumed to be true. In that case,
>> Pxm & x=x & Qm
>> means the same thing as
>> Pxm. The conjunction of any statement S
>> with any true statement produces a new
>> statement that is equivalent to S.
>
>Not in truth-relevant logic.

I'm pointing out how incredibly stupid that notion of
"truth relevant logic" is.

>> For example:
>>
>> "All counterexamples to GC are multiples of 3"
>>
>> "All counterexamples of GC are of the form 2*p where p is prime"
>>
>> These two vacuous statements allow us to conclude:
>>
>> "There are no counterexamples to GC".
>>
>> So vacuous statements can be useful in deriving nonvacuous statements.
>
>Whether this will be allowed or not in the logic I am proposing is
>irrelevant.

No, it's not irrelevant. You're proposing some rules for something
that looks vaguely like logic. Should it really count as logic, or
is it just goofing around with symbols? I think that to show that
it counts as a kind of logic, it should be possible to derive something
interesting with it.

>> You haven't given a coherent reason to care about the distinction between
>> vacuous and nonvacuous statements.
>
>I gave you two:
>a) There is no way to claim that "All John's children are asleep" is
>true if John has no children.

Sure there is. It's the same as claim that there is no person who is both
awake and one of John's children. There is no problem with understanding
what that claim means. Yes, if someone *says* "All John's children
are asleep", then we assume that he is familiar with John's children
(how else would he know whether they are asleep or not), and so would
know whether he has any children at all. If John happened to have no
children, then the speaker would have said "John has no children"
rather than bringing up sleeping.

The real thing that is going on here is an analysis of the possible
intentions of the speaker. When someone tells us something, we try
to figure out what purpose they are trying to accomplish, and we
use our analysis of purpose to interpret what it is they are saying.
We assume that the speaker is *not* telling us something that is
tautologically true (because what would be the point in telling
us something that we already know, or can easily figure out?) We
assume that if someone leaves out some piece of information, it's
either because they don't know it, or they don't want us to know
it, or they thought that it was irrelevant to our purposes.

None of this applies to *mathematical* statements. In the case
of statements about arithmetic, it isn't that anyone *told* us
those statements, and had some agenda for telling them. Instead,
we are trying to *figure* out which statements are true and which
are not. The communicative intent that is important in understanding
natural language exchanges between humans is *not* important in
mathematical proof. It's extremely weird to try to impose the
same rules of "presupposition" to the case of mathematics.

This endeavor seems to be starting with something kind of interesting,
which is the notion of presuppositions in natural language, and applying
it in a completely bizarre way.

>b) We get a semantically complete arithmetic

Why do you believe that?

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
James Burns says...

>Daryl McCullough wrote:

>> The real thing that is going on here is an analysis of the possible
>> intentions of the speaker. When someone tells us something, we try
>> to figure out what purpose they are trying to accomplish, and we
>> use our analysis of purpose to interpret what it is they are saying.
>> We assume that the speaker is *not* telling us something that is
>> tautologically true (because what would be the point in telling
>> us something that we already know, or can easily figure out?) We
>> assume that if someone leaves out some piece of information, it's
>> either because they don't know it, or they don't want us to know
>> it, or they thought that it was irrelevant to our purposes.
>
>What you describe reminds me of conversational implicature.
>
>Jim Burns
>
>http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/implicature/
>
> 1. Alan: Are you going to Paul's party?
> Barb: I have to work.
>
> If this was a typical exchange, Barb meant that she is not going
> to Paul's party. But the sentence she uttered does not mean that
> she is not going to Paul's party. Hence Barb did not say that she
> is not going, she implied it. Grice introduced the technical terms
> implicate and implicature for the case in which what the speaker
> said is distinct from what the speaker thereby meant (implied, or
> suggested).[1] Thus Barb implicated that she is not going; that
> she is not going was her implicature. Implicating is what Searle
> (1975: 265�6) called an indirect speech act. Barb performed one
> speech act (meaning that she is not going) by performing another
> (saying that she has to work).

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I think that's really
what's going on with the examples that Newberry
brings up about "presuppositions" and "relevance".
It is more fruitful to think of it in terms of
conversational implicature than in terms of a
new semantics for first-order logic.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
Newberry says...

>Goedel's sentence is not true because it is vacuous, and we do not
>regard vacuous sentences as true.

On the contrary! We certainly do.

Look, *EVERY* theorem of pure first order logic is, in a sense,
vacuously true. For any other first-order theory, a sentence S
is a theorem if there is a finite conjunction A1 & A2 & ... & An
of axioms such that

A1 & A2 & ... & An -> S

is vacuously true. In a sense, then, logical deduction amounts to
showing that certain sentences are vacuously true, given certain
assumptions.

Your goal of banishing the vacuously true sentences amounts to
banishing the use of logic.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY