From: Newberry on
On Aug 10, 8:26 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> Newberry says...
>

> >On Aug 10, 3:48=A0am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
> >wrote:
> >> You want to mess with the semantics of first-order logic so that
> >> these two formulas are not equivalent. WHY? In any case, the Godel
> >> sentence is the latter, which definitely says something about
> >> provability.
>
> >To get a semantically complete system.
>
> What is the point of that?
>
> >I said we could do arithmetic in the logic of presuppositions. Then
> >given a suitable valuation
> >(Ex)Px#G                                  (1)
> >is the presupposition of
> >~(Ex)(Ey)(Pxy & Qy)                    (G)
>
> Why in the WORLD would that be the case?

To simplify let us pick y = #G = m. We obtain

~(Ex)(Pxm & Qm)

According to Strawson's logic of presupposition Pxm must be non-empty
if the above is to be T v F. Hence (Ex)Pxm is a presupposition of the
formula above.

> >So if the negation (1) is true then (G) is neither true nor false.
>
> That sounds like a reducto ad aburdum for your system. You are
> basically saying that if sentence (G) is true, (That is, there
> is no pair (x,y) such that Pxy and Qy), then it is neither
> true nor false.

I am not saying that. I have already told you that my paper was not
about classical logic.
From: Tim Little on
On 2010-08-11, Newberry <newberryxy(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Yet you are convinced that some of these unprovable sentences are
> true.

They are only unprovable in the specific formal system being
considered. There is no such thing as an unqualifed "unprovable
sentence", as for every sentence there is always a system in which it
is provable.

- Tim
From: Daryl McCullough on
Newberry says...

>On Aug 10, 8:48=A0am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
>wrote

>> If I axiomatize
>> computer programs and naturals, then there will be statements of
>> the form "Program P does not halt on input 0" that are not provable
>> and not disprovable.
>
>Yet you are convinced that some of these unprovable sentences are
>true.

We know this because we have the following situation:

If Program P actually *does* halt on input 0, then *eventually*
we will be able to prove this fact.

In other words,

(P halts on 0) -> (there is a proof of "P halts on 0")

The contrapositive of this is:

~(there is a proof of "P halts on 0") -> ~(P halts on 0)

In other words

(there is no proof of "P halts on 0") -> (P does not halt on 0)

You want to disallow this kind of reasoning, which is basically
the use of logic. That's why I said that your goal seems to be
to block the use of logic.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
Newberry says...

>On Aug 10, 8:48=A0am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
>wrote:

>> If I axiomatize
>> computer programs and naturals, then there will be statements of
>> the form "Program P does not halt on input 0" that are not provable
>> and not disprovable.
>
>Yet you are convinced that some of these unprovable sentences are
>true. I still do not understand how you arrive at the conclusion that
>something is true without deriving that it is true.

Suppose I flip a coin and don't show you the result. Then you know
that *one* of the following statements is true:

1. The coin landed heads up.
2. The coin landed tails up.

You have no way of knowing which one is true, but you know
one of them is.

The things that are provable are just different from the things
that are true. There is no reason to think that they should be
the same. It would be nice if they were, but why should you expect
it?

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Newberry on
On Aug 11, 4:59 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> Newberry says...
>

> >On Aug 10, 8:48=A0am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
> >wrote
> >> If I axiomatize
> >> computer programs and naturals, then there will be statements of
> >> the form "Program P does not halt on input 0" that are not provable
> >> and not disprovable.
>
> >Yet you are convinced that some of these unprovable sentences are
> >true.
>
> We know this because we have the following situation:
>
> If Program P actually *does* halt on input 0, then *eventually*
> we will be able to prove this fact.
>
> In other words,
>
> (P halts on 0) -> (there is a proof of "P halts on 0")
>
> The contrapositive of this is:
>
> ~(there is a proof of "P halts on 0") -> ~(P halts on 0)
>
> In other words
>
> (there is no proof of "P halts on 0") -> (P does not halt on 0)
>
> You want to disallow this kind of reasoning, which is basically
> the use of logic. That's why I said that your goal seems to be
> to block the use of logic.

I do not want to disalow anything. If this is how you prove that
certain underivable sentences are true that is what I want to alow.