From: Jesse F. Hughes on
Newberry <newberryxy(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 11, 6:59 am, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote:
>> Newberry <newberr...(a)gmail.com> writes:
>> > A lot of people are absolutely convinced that e.g. PA is consistent.
>> > But anyway the point is that IF
>> > ~(Ex)Pxm
>> > then
>> > ~(Ex)[Pxm & ((x = x &) Qm)]
>> > is vacuous. I do not know what you are trying to argue here. By
>> > "vacuous" I mean that the subject class is empty.
>>
>> That's a deep and exciting result, of course, since the formula
>>
>>   ~(Ex)[Pxm & ((x = x) & Qm)]
>>
>> plays such an important and widespread role in the literature.
>>
>> But, back to the earlier formulas:
>>
>>   ~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm) and ~(Ex)(Pxm & Qm)
>>
>> Are these two formulas equivalent, in your view?  If so, the second
>> formula is not vacuous, right?
>
> If (Ex)Pxm is necessarily false then according to the principles of
> truth-relevant logic
>
> ~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm)
>
> is ~(T v F). The reason is that it is analogous to
>
> ~(Q & (P & ~P))
>
> Please see section 2.2 of my paper.

Surely, if (Ex)Pxm is necessarily false, then we all agree that
~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm) is ~(T v F) (given that Qm is true).

But you weren't quite explicit in your answer. Are the two formulas

~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm) and ~(Ex)(Pxm & Qm)

equivalent or not? (Or are there situations in which they are
equivalent and other situations in which they are not?)

--
One these mornings gonna wake | Ain't nobody's doggone business how
up crazy, | my baby treats me,
From: Jesse F. Hughes on
"Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse(a)phiwumbda.org> writes:

> Newberry <newberryxy(a)gmail.com> writes:

>>> That's a deep and exciting result, of course, since the formula
>>>
>>>   ~(Ex)[Pxm & ((x = x) & Qm)]
>>>
>>> plays such an important and widespread role in the literature.
>>>
>>> But, back to the earlier formulas:
>>>
>>>   ~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm) and ~(Ex)(Pxm & Qm)
>>>
>>> Are these two formulas equivalent, in your view?  If so, the second
>>> formula is not vacuous, right?
>>
>> If (Ex)Pxm is necessarily false then according to the principles of
>> truth-relevant logic
>>
>> ~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm)
>>
>> is ~(T v F). The reason is that it is analogous to
>>
>> ~(Q & (P & ~P))
>>
>> Please see section 2.2 of my paper.
>
> Surely, if (Ex)Pxm is necessarily false, then we all agree that
> ~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm) is ~(T v F) (given that Qm is true).
^^^^^^^^

As Daryl points out, it should be ~(T & F) we all agree to, rather
than ~(T v F).

> But you weren't quite explicit in your answer. Are the two formulas
>
> ~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm) and ~(Ex)(Pxm & Qm)
>
> equivalent or not? (Or are there situations in which they are
> equivalent and other situations in which they are not?)
--
Jesse F. Hughes

"[M]eta-goedelisation as the essence of the globalised dictatorship by
denial of sense." -- Ludovico Van makes some sort of point.