From: Jesse F. Hughes on
Newberry <newberryxy(a)gmail.com> writes:

> A lot of people are absolutely convinced that e.g. PA is consistent.
> But anyway the point is that IF
> ~(Ex)Pxm
> then
> ~(Ex)[Pxm & ((x = x &) Qm)]
> is vacuous. I do not know what you are trying to argue here. By
> "vacuous" I mean that the subject class is empty.

That's a deep and exciting result, of course, since the formula

~(Ex)[Pxm & ((x = x) & Qm)]

plays such an important and widespread role in the literature.

But, back to the earlier formulas:

~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm) and ~(Ex)(Pxm & Qm)

Are these two formulas equivalent, in your view? If so, the second
formula is not vacuous, right?
--
"Another factor one has got to look at is the amount of liquidity in
the system. In other words, is there enough liquidity to enable
From: Newberry on
On Aug 11, 6:59 am, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> Newberry <newberr...(a)gmail.com> writes:
> > A lot of people are absolutely convinced that e.g. PA is consistent.
> > But anyway the point is that IF
> > ~(Ex)Pxm
> > then
> > ~(Ex)[Pxm & ((x = x &) Qm)]
> > is vacuous. I do not know what you are trying to argue here. By
> > "vacuous" I mean that the subject class is empty.
>
> That's a deep and exciting result, of course, since the formula
>
>   ~(Ex)[Pxm & ((x = x) & Qm)]
>
> plays such an important and widespread role in the literature.
>
> But, back to the earlier formulas:
>
>   ~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm) and ~(Ex)(Pxm & Qm)
>
> Are these two formulas equivalent, in your view?  If so, the second
> formula is not vacuous, right?

If (Ex)Pxm is necessarily false then according to the principles of
truth-relevant logic

~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm)

is ~(T v F). The reason is that it is analogous to

~(Q & (P & ~P))

Please see section 2.2 of my paper.

From: Jesse F. Hughes on
Newberry <newberryxy(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 11, 10:22 pm, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote:
>> Newberry <newberr...(a)gmail.com> writes:

>> > If (Ex)Pxm is necessarily false then according to the principles of
>> > truth-relevant logic
>>
>> > ~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm)
>>
>> > is ~(T v F). The reason is that it is analogous to
>>
>> > ~(Q & (P & ~P))
>>
>> > Please see section 2.2 of my paper.
>>
>> Surely, if (Ex)Pxm is necessarily false, then we all agree that
>> ~(Qm & (Ex)Pxm) is ~(T v F) (given that Qm is true).
>
> Wow! We are making a lot of progress. (Actually it is ~(T v F)
> regardless if Qm is true.)

No, we're not. I realize now that you meant the formula is neither
true nor false. I thought you meant that the formula evaluates to
~(T v F) (but, of course, it really evaluates to ~(T & F).

--
"Now I'm informing all of you that the people arguing against me are EVIL,
yes they are real, live EVIL people as mathematics is that important, so
From: Jesse F. Hughes on
Newberry <newberryxy(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Goedel's sentence is not true because it is vacuous, and we do not
> regard vacuous sentences as true.

It is funny, then, that the overwhelming majority of respondents here
*do* regard vacuous sentences like Goedel's theorem as true.
Something wrong with pretty much everyone but you, huh?

--
"I've noticed [...] I routinely have been putting up flawed equations
with my surrogate factoring work. My take on it is that I have some
From: Aatu Koskensilta on
"Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse(a)phiwumbda.org> writes:

> Newberry <newberryxy(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Goedel's sentence is not true because it is vacuous, and we do not
>> regard vacuous sentences as true.
>
> It is funny, then, that the overwhelming majority of respondents here
> *do* regard vacuous sentences like Goedel's theorem as true.

What's vacuous about G�del's theorem or the G�del sentence of a theory?

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta(a)uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, dar�ber muss man schweigen"
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Probability Question
Next: points on a map