From: Daniel Mack on
On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 07:29:59PM +0200, Anders Grafstr�m wrote:
> Daniel Mack wrote:
> > We would like to have a fix for this annoying bug in the stable series
> > (especially 2.6.32.x) as well, but I don't have much ideas about where
> > to search for it. Hence, I would appreciate if maintainers could think
> > about any possible commits in the described time window which haven't
> > reached stable. Does the description ring anyone's bell?
> >
> > I can cherry-pick things if anyone pin-points something and run
> > lont-time tests again. Any pointer appreciated.
>
> You could try this one:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=8e4971f2fb2380ce66196136e113d04196b80fcd

Thanks. Unfortunately, that didn't fix it (this time, it crashed after a
few minutes only). But shouldn't we have that in -stable anyway?

Daniel

From: Uwe Kleine-König on
On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 06:58:57PM +0200, Daniel Mack wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 09:51:44AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 03:21:56PM +0200, Daniel Mack wrote:
> > >
> > > I can cherry-pick things if anyone pin-points something and run
> > > lont-time tests again. Any pointer appreciated.
> >
> > Oh, how about running 'git bisect' to try to find the solution? Just
> > remember to reverse 'good' and 'bad' for when you tell git bisect what
> > the results are.
>
> Jep, I thought about that of course. But unfortunately, the platform
> got merged mainline in the middle of that time window which makes
> bisecting tricky. And worse than that - every test run take around half
> a day at least :(
What you can do is backport the platform-support on top of rev initially
marked good (in a branch named say foo) and when asked for testing do:

git merge --no-commit foo
<test>
git reset --hard
git bisect {good|bad}

Assuming the platform-support got in in one go (and you shouldn't test
in the middle, which you can simply skip), the merge should always work
just fine.

Best regards
Uwe

--