From: Leon Woestenberg on
Hello,

searching for good info on device IO racing against host memory writes
I came upon this 2006 article:

http://lwn.net/Articles/198988/

"there is no guaranteed ordering between writes to regular memory and
writes to a memory-mapped I/O range. "

What is the current solution for that particular problem, i.e. how
should I make sure host memory writes are committed before I have an
external DMA device act on it?

Thanks,
--
Leon Woestenberg.
From: Andreas Bombe on
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 08:18:49PM +0100, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> What is the current solution for that particular problem, i.e. how
> should I make sure host memory writes are committed before I have an
> external DMA device act on it?

The dma_sync_* functions, if you reuse DMA buffers without unmapping,
take care of that. Otherwise the process of mapping them handles it.

Documentation/DMA-API.txt and Documentation/PCI/PCI-DMA-mapping.txt
document those functions.
From: Leon Woestenberg on
Hello Andreas, all,

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Andreas Bombe <aeb(a)debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 08:18:49PM +0100, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
>> What is the current solution for that particular problem, i.e. how
>> should I make sure host memory writes are committed before I have an
>> external DMA device act on it?
>
> The dma_sync_* functions, if you reuse DMA buffers without unmapping,
> take care of that. �Otherwise the process of mapping them handles it.

The mapping makes the memory cache-coherent. I already use that.

But does that mean that this coherency is guaranteed to occur before I
start MMIO access to a device, i.e. is there a guaranteed ordering
between the writes?

Regards,
--
Leon
From: Robert Hancock on
On 03/22/2010 04:12 PM, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Hello Andreas, all,
>
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Andreas Bombe<aeb(a)debian.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 08:18:49PM +0100, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
>>> What is the current solution for that particular problem, i.e. how
>>> should I make sure host memory writes are committed before I have an
>>> external DMA device act on it?
>>
>> The dma_sync_* functions, if you reuse DMA buffers without unmapping,
>> take care of that. Otherwise the process of mapping them handles it.
>>
> The mapping makes the memory cache-coherent. I already use that.
>
> But does that mean that this coherency is guaranteed to occur before I
> start MMIO access to a device, i.e. is there a guaranteed ordering
> between the writes?

Well, for a streaming mapping, the device may not see the write to the
memory at all until it's synced or unmapped (for one thing, if the
kernel is using swiotlb to map the memory, it's an entirely different
piece of memory and it needs to copy the data to where the device can
actually see it).

For a coherent mapping, however, though I can't say for certain what the
behavior is "supposed" to be, many drivers seem to depend on writes to
these regions being ordered with respect to regular memory and would
break if a particular platform didn't obey that.