From: jackoblangada on
I am running Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit.
I have had nothing but troubles with Live Messenger and LifeCam making video
calls.
First, every time I launch Messenger I get the Admin approval thing telling
me this program wants to change windows….why do I have to approve this every
time?
I have WindowsLifecam, I cannot “share” my webcam with other users and when
I try and make a video call (even after using tools and setting up the video
cam and mic) my cam shows as an icon with a red x.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled LifeCam, even tried a Hercules web cam I
owned. I have reinstalled and installed Messenger several times.
When I first had this issue I uninstalled Messenger and installed an older
version and that worked but on the 15th we were forced to upgrade and since
then nothing.
I even tried running Messenger in XP mode and funny XP mode said my (USB
device is not compatible with virtual PC). This is driving me crazy.

From: Jonathan Kay [MVP] on
Greetings,

If you're getting the UAC (approval dialog) when starting Messenger, there is something setup
wrong. Messenger does not require administrator privileges to work.

You can double check that the shortcut hasn't for some reason turned this on by pressing the
Windows key and R to bring up the Run box, then paste in:
\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger
and click OK.

Locate msnmsgr.exe (the Application), right-click and choose Properties. Then click the
Compatibility tab and verify that nothing is checked. Also click the 'Change settings for
all users' button to verify it's not set there.

Regardless, with regards to the red X webcam problem, please see this post on my blog for
some things which may be causing this (the UAC will not):
http://messengergeek.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E3785B1281BBDA1!3016.entry

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger