From: Demon on
I am student of computer science. i have good skill of programming in
C/C++. I want to start learning Microcontroller Programming. What is
the pre-requisite to get started and what kind tools (Software and
Hardware) i need to get a start.

From: Mad I.D. on
On 28 Sep 2006 22:50:03 -0700, Demon wrote:
> I am student of computer science. i have good skill of programming in
> C/C++. I want to start learning Microcontroller Programming. What is
> the pre-requisite to get started and what kind tools (Software and
> Hardware) i need to get a start.

First of all you have to learn CPU architecture. Best way to do that is
assembly programming :)

From: dosadih on

Demon wrote:
> I am student of computer science. i have good skill of programming in
> C/C++. I want to start learning Microcontroller Programming. What is
> the pre-requisite to get started and what kind tools (Software and
> Hardware) i need to get a start.

Start with Microchip PIC microcontroller. It's a good trainning. You
could program in assembly (better) or C. It's cheapest and you could
find it easly

From: Mark McDougall on
Demon wrote:

> I am student of computer science. i have good skill of programming in
> C/C++. I want to start learning Microcontroller Programming. What is
> the pre-requisite to get started and what kind tools (Software and
> Hardware) i need to get a start.

Pre-requisites:

1. Knowledge of CPU architecture. How MMUs, interrupts, etc work.
2. Knowledge of some sort of assembler - how to write software for a
processor when there is no OS is beneficial.
3. Knowledge of how a compiler and linker works, and what the output
from a linker actually contains.
4. Masochistic tendencies. Debugging real-time multi-threaded apps using
a single LED and a CRO is not unheard of! ;)

Tools (software and hardware):

*Completely* dependent on the chosen MCU. At the low end you have
8051-type processors with simple, free dev suites like SDCC (I'd say PIC
but they're a little too left of the middle) or commercial compilers. At
the mid-high end you'll be using GCC/GDB or commercial software.

Generally a 'development kit' or 'evaluation board' is a good starting
point. The hardware is proven to be correct and there's generally a
turn-key development cycle and examples to guide you, not to mention
ample I/O on the board itself to enable you to play with various aspects
of the chip.

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216
From: Fred Bartoli on
Mark McDougall a ?crit :
<snipped>
> 4. Masochistic tendencies. Debugging real-time multi-threaded apps using
> a single LED and a CRO is not unheard of! ;)

Morse code?

--
Thanks,
Fred.