From: johnstubbe on
Hi,

This is my first attempt at using VB6 to export an excel file.
The Microsoft Excel Object Library that I apparently need is
missing from my Available References in the IDE.

I thought that I might need to have Excel installed on my computer. I
Googled for Excel. The best I was able to find was MS Office Excel
Viewer 2003, which I installed and am able to view Excel files. Still
no IDE reference to Excel.

I hope it's not necessary to buy Excel since I don't use Excel.

Thanks,
John

From: Bob Butler on

"johnstubbe" <johnstubbe(a)frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This is my first attempt at using VB6 to export an excel file.
> The Microsoft Excel Object Library that I apparently need is
> missing from my Available References in the IDE.
>
> I thought that I might need to have Excel installed on my computer. I
> Googled for Excel. The best I was able to find was MS Office Excel
> Viewer 2003, which I installed and am able to view Excel files. Still
> no IDE reference to Excel.
>
> I hope it's not necessary to buy Excel since I don't use Excel.

yes, if you want to reference Excel from VB then you are using Excel and you
need to buy and install it. You could create a CSV file, or some other
format that Excel recognizes, from VB with straight file I/O but in order to
reference and automate Excel you need to have Excel.

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-03-15, johnstubbe <johnstubbe(a)frontiernet.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my first attempt at using VB6 to export an excel file.
> The Microsoft Excel Object Library that I apparently need is
> missing from my Available References in the IDE.
>
> I thought that I might need to have Excel installed on my computer. I
> Googled for Excel. The best I was able to find was MS Office Excel
> Viewer 2003, which I installed and am able to view Excel files. Still
> no IDE reference to Excel.
>
> I hope it's not necessary to buy Excel since I don't use Excel.
>
> Thanks,
> John

John...

If you are going to use automation, then you WILL need to have excel.

The good news is that there is an alternative - SpreadSheetML. Newer versions
of office allow you to create and save spread sheets in an xml format. I use
this all the time in server scenarios, where I don't want to have office
installed.

A basic spread sheet looks like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?mso-application progid="Excel.Sheet"?>
<Workbook xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadsheet"
xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
xmlns:x="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:excel"
xmlns:ss="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadsheet"
xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<Worksheet ss:Name="Sheet1">
<Table>
<Row>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">a</Data></Cell>
<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">b</Data></Cell>
</Row>
</Table>
</Worksheet>
</Workbook>

This is based on the Office 2003 schemas - which can be freely downloaded
here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fe118952-3547-420a-a412-00a2662442d9&displaylang=en

I stick to these because they are usable in 2007 as well. 2007's native xml
format is very similar, but it is packaged a bit differntly. Basically it is
a specially formated zip file with the xml and other resources inside.

The nice thing is that my users don't even know that they are gettign xml - I
simply lie and return the file with an xls extension rather then xml :)

--
Tom Shelton
From: johnstubbe on
On Mar 15, 10:48 am, "Bob Butler" <no...(a)nospam.ever> wrote:
> "johnstubbe" <johnstu...(a)frontiernet.net> wrote in message

> > Hi,
>
> > This is my first attempt at using VB6 to export an excel file.
> > The Microsoft Excel Object Library that I apparently need is
> > missing from my Available References in the IDE.
>
> > I thought that I might need to have Excel installed on my computer. I
> > Googled for Excel. The best I was able to find was MS Office Excel
> > Viewer 2003, which I installed and am able to view Excel files. Still
> > no IDE reference to Excel.
>
> > I hope it's not necessary to buy Excel since I don't use Excel.
>
> yes, if you want to reference Excel from VB then you are using Excel and you
> need to buy and install it.  You could create a CSV file, or some other
> format that Excel recognizes, from VB with straight file I/O but in order to
> reference and automate Excel you need to have Excel.

Thanks,
Not what I wanted to here. I have no use for Excel. A customer
requested, as a favor, an excel file in place of the standard CSV
file. He is not willing to buy me a copy of Excel and I won't. A
trial version isn't acceptable due to on going updates to his program.
I don't want to use Excel, I just want to export an excel file using
VB6, that can be imported into the customers Excel program. I can't
afford to spend much time or money on this project.
From: Dave Patrick on
Download the trial.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA101741481033.aspx

--