From: Hans-Georg Michna on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:27:23 +0100, Gregor Kofler wrote:

>So the datepicker defaults to a date format which is the least common
>throughout the world? According to the above image it is *only* used in
>the US (and as an alternative in Kenya, the Phillipines and Canada).

At least for Kenya I can say that they practically always write
the day before the month.

They do sometimes use slashes, but they also use periods.

Generally speaking, it makes sense to write the day-month-year
sequence or the year-month-day sequence, but something like
month-day-year is rather illogical. Still, if it is used, we
have to cater to it.

Hans-Georg
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <D-WdnbdigdoQSj3WnZ2dnUVZ_oadnZ2d(a)gigane
ws.com>, Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:22:21, kangax <kangax(a)gmail.com> posted:

>I was testing preview of IE9 on Vista yesterday

With those, could you try
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-datex.htm#Auto>, where the
question is whether the computed yellow column agrees with that headed
"IE 6/7/8"? If line #3 differs, see also the following section "Values
from getYear()".

Does <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/$lag-pts.htm> fail nicely?

From: kangax on
On 3/18/10 4:53 PM, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message<D-WdnbdigdoQSj3WnZ2dnUVZ_oadnZ2d(a)gigane
> ws.com>, Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:22:21, kangax<kangax(a)gmail.com> posted:
>
>> I was testing preview of IE9 on Vista yesterday
>
> With those, could you try
> <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-datex.htm#Auto>, where the
> question is whether the computed yellow column agrees with that headed
> "IE 6/7/8"? If line #3 differs, see also the following section "Values
> from getYear()".

The difference between IE6/7/8 and 9 is in these fields:

!!new Date().toISOString // was false, now true
toISOString() (see source) // was false, now 12345-06-07T11:22:33.000Z
(0.007).toFixed(2) // was 0, now 1
(0.5).toFixed(0) // was 0, now 1

So besides ES5 `Date.prototype.toISOString`, we finally have compliant
`Number.prototype.toFixed`.

> Does<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/$lag-pts.htm> fail nicely?

Preview doesn't support canvas, although IIRC, IE team claims that work
is being done in that area.

--
kangax
From: Jorge on
On Mar 19, 1:19 pm, kangax <kan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)
> Preview doesn't support canvas, although IIRC, IE team claims that work
> is being done in that area.

Yes, by "3rd party plugins" :-|
--
Jorge.
From: David Mark on
Jorge wrote:
> On Mar 19, 1:19 pm, kangax <kan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> (...)
>> Preview doesn't support canvas, although IIRC, IE team claims that work
>> is being done in that area.
>
> Yes, by "3rd party plugins" :-|

I guess Dojo and the like will have to rewrite their UA sniffing that
forks for SVG, VML, Canvas, etc. What a pity for their users. :)