From: Guy Ninety8 on
Dan wrote:

> According to this site, Microsoft is planning on phasing out the
> old newsgroups and helping users transition to ...
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=6097&tag=nl.e539
>
> Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
>
> Microsoft hitting 'unsubscribe' on newsgroups
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20004109-56.htm

That will not affect the existance and continued propagation of the set
of newsgroups
with names that happen to begin with "microsoft.public."

Those of you that don't know any better than to read this or any other
microsoft newsgroup via the microsoft servers and who don't know how to
use alternate servers will disappear, but those of us who use "regular"
nntp servers will continue to read and post messages to this and other
microsoft.public newsgroups.

As I've said many times, Microsoft does not own or control the
microsoft.public set of newsgroups. They don't act as a central
coordinator, aggregator, or administrator of them, nor can they censor
or moderate them or their content. Many of you, for some reason,
believes that Microsoft does own, control, administer or coordinate
these groups. That is a delusion.

If Microsoft pulls the plug on their own NNTP server, they can certainly
do that, but it will have zero impact as to whether or not the
"world-wide" usenet community of servers will also do the same. They
have no obligation to do so (legal or otherwise).
From: Hot-text on
No Not true I Test it out at microsoft.public. with the Old win98.webtv
on Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 03:25:15 GMT and it was posted>>
But May 09, 2010 Aioe Remove microsoft.public.win98.webtv

It will have a big impact when all have is alt.windows98 to give out bad
INFO!