From: Mr. Land on
OK, I see there is a long history of microwave over repair questions.
But I don't seem to see a thread that has my question:

So I have an older GE JVM1190 over-the-stove microwave unit.

Symptom is no heat.

When powered up and programmed to cook, the unit makes the expected
humming noise (the same it's always made) but a cup of water in the
chamber will not heat up.

I've studied the microwave FAQ repeatedly and I believe I understand
the dangers.

I constructed a long wooden-stick-based discharger for the HV cap,
discharged it (didn't get any spark at all), then ensured there was no
residual voltage on either of its terminals. Then I shorted the
terminals.

First I "tested" the magnetron: infinite resistance from either
cathode connection pin to ground, very low resistance between the two
pins themselves. Seems OK.

Then I tested the HV diode by placing it series with a 390 ohm
resistor and applying 15 VDC, and meauring the voltage drop across the
device. -15V negative biased, about 10 VDC forward biased...this
seemed to be within range.

Finally I tested the HV cap. It reads infinite resistance to the
chassis from either terminal. Between the terminals my capacitance
meters reads around 0.86 uF... which seems to be correct.

I've heard mention of a possibly bad HV fuse. AFAICT, this unit
doesn't have one of those.

So...the HV cap seems good, the mag seems good, the diode seems good,
the unit seems to draw appropriate current when in cook mode,yet the
over won't heat food.

What am I missing???

Could the magnetron still be "bad" despite the fact that it doesn't
read shorted/open?

Thanks.
From: Cydrome Leader on
Mr. Land <graftonfot(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> OK, I see there is a long history of microwave over repair questions.
> But I don't seem to see a thread that has my question:
>
> So I have an older GE JVM1190 over-the-stove microwave unit.
>
> Symptom is no heat.
>
> When powered up and programmed to cook, the unit makes the expected
> humming noise (the same it's always made) but a cup of water in the
> chamber will not heat up.
>
> I've studied the microwave FAQ repeatedly and I believe I understand
> the dangers.
>
> I constructed a long wooden-stick-based discharger for the HV cap,
> discharged it (didn't get any spark at all), then ensured there was no
> residual voltage on either of its terminals. Then I shorted the
> terminals.
>
> First I "tested" the magnetron: infinite resistance from either
> cathode connection pin to ground, very low resistance between the two
> pins themselves. Seems OK.
>
> Then I tested the HV diode by placing it series with a 390 ohm
> resistor and applying 15 VDC, and meauring the voltage drop across the
> device. -15V negative biased, about 10 VDC forward biased...this
> seemed to be within range.
>
> Finally I tested the HV cap. It reads infinite resistance to the
> chassis from either terminal. Between the terminals my capacitance
> meters reads around 0.86 uF... which seems to be correct.
>
> I've heard mention of a possibly bad HV fuse. AFAICT, this unit
> doesn't have one of those.
>
> So...the HV cap seems good, the mag seems good, the diode seems good,
> the unit seems to draw appropriate current when in cook mode,yet the
> over won't heat food.
>
> What am I missing???
>
> Could the magnetron still be "bad" despite the fact that it doesn't
> read shorted/open?
>
> Thanks.

Is the transformer secondary good? check its resistance from the HV
terminal to the chassis. Open = bad.

Is that microwave old enough to use a reed relay for defrost mode?

Do you have a way to measure the HV from a microwave oven safely?
From: Dani on
The large transformer gives the 2000 volt approx ac high voltage as it
gets about 120 vac input. A relay controls this. You could have a bad
connection now burned at the relay output, or more likely a weak
magnetron. If you have the 120 vac to the input of the big high
voltage transformer, your magnetron is likely bad, considering your
measurements. Please be carefull. Hope this helps.
From: Jeroni Paul on
I was once in a similar trouble and it turned out that the press fit
connectors to the magnetron were somewhat oxidized and did not make
proper contact. I could not see oxide but I was measuring a few ohms
of resistance in the contact. I cleaned both surfaces and it worked
again.

From: Samuel M. Goldwasser on
"Mr. Land" <graftonfot(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> OK, I see there is a long history of microwave over repair questions.
> But I don't seem to see a thread that has my question:
>
> So I have an older GE JVM1190 over-the-stove microwave unit.
>
> Symptom is no heat.
>
> When powered up and programmed to cook, the unit makes the expected
> humming noise (the same it's always made) but a cup of water in the
> chamber will not heat up.
>
> I've studied the microwave FAQ repeatedly and I believe I understand
> the dangers.
>
> I constructed a long wooden-stick-based discharger for the HV cap,
> discharged it (didn't get any spark at all), then ensured there was no
> residual voltage on either of its terminals. Then I shorted the
> terminals.
>
> First I "tested" the magnetron: infinite resistance from either
> cathode connection pin to ground, very low resistance between the two
> pins themselves. Seems OK.
>
> Then I tested the HV diode by placing it series with a 390 ohm
> resistor and applying 15 VDC, and meauring the voltage drop across the
> device. -15V negative biased, about 10 VDC forward biased...this
> seemed to be within range.
>
> Finally I tested the HV cap. It reads infinite resistance to the
> chassis from either terminal. Between the terminals my capacitance
> meters reads around 0.86 uF... which seems to be correct.
>
> I've heard mention of a possibly bad HV fuse. AFAICT, this unit
> doesn't have one of those.
>
> So...the HV cap seems good, the mag seems good, the diode seems good,
> the unit seems to draw appropriate current when in cook mode,yet the
> over won't heat food.
>
> What am I missing???
>
> Could the magnetron still be "bad" despite the fact that it doesn't
> read shorted/open?

As someone else suggested, double check the continuity of the filament
circuit - transformer and magnetron. Since that's high current bad
connections are quite possible.

However, the unit would draw less AC current if the magnetron was not
getting filament power.

But yes, everything could seem to check out but the magnetron could still be
bad.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/