From: RonG on
Hi, and thanks again for your thoughts.

Well, down the merry path of Access2007 I go. I'll be taking a close
look at the web capabilities of Acc2010 as well. Sometimes,
Microsoft's view of what does the job and, well, reality, don't always
coincide. At the very worst case, I can always port the database over
to something like MySQL, which is included with most ISP offerings,
and build a web app from there. Same goes for SQLServer, although not
all ISPs offer it.

As I said in another topic, my original thought was to move away from
Access entirely and move to a platform that would give me desktop
access to the Mac market. After quite a bit of research on that, I
concluded that it would involve pretty much a complete rewrite, and
since I've already got a nice, mature, stable, application now, that's
a lot of risk to take on. So, my approach to the Mac market will be
through a web-based app, it appears now.

Thanks again.

Ron
From: David W. Fenton on
RonG <rgafron(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in
m:

> Well, down the merry path of Access2007 I go. I'll be taking a
> close look at the web capabilities of Acc2010 as well. Sometimes,
> Microsoft's view of what does the job and, well, reality, don't
> always coincide.

I would not be looking forward to A2010 as much if it weren't for
the information conveyed to us by Albert Kallal. He's no pushover
for Microsoft propaganda, but he was really swayed by the new
features and able to explain how great they were to those of us
Luddites who have barely even tried A2007. He even made a case for
many aspects of the A2007 interface that lots of experienced Access
developers hate (I'm looking at you, Navigation Pane).

So, I tend to believe that this is a big advance that's going to be
helpful, not because MS says so, but because people I trust do.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: RonG on
Thanks, David. I'll take a look at Albert Kallal's posts to see what
he has to say.

Ron

From: David W. Fenton on
RonG <rgafron(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in
m:

> I'll take a look at Albert Kallal's posts to see what
> he has to say.

There's a set of huge threads discussing the issues with Albert
explaining what's coming and the rest of us asking pointed
questions. I think some of it was in comp.database.ms-access only,
and other threads were in microsoft.public.access.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/