From: netsettler on
In recent days, I've done a lot of blogging (mostly political, some
philosophy, even some poetry) at Open Salon [1]. Very little is
technical, so I haven't bothered to promo it here. But once in a
while I do things with a technical theme, and my post Friday was such
a one, so I hope you'll indulge me a bit of self-promotion, since for
once it's even on-topic. The recent post includes some hopefully-fun
references to technological and Lisp history:

http://open.salon.com/blog/kent_pitman/2010/02/25/am_i_evolving_into_a_gadget

It's actually a book review of Jaron Lanier's book "You Are Not a
Gadget", which I recommend to all Lispers as both generally thought-
provoking and an important work in the area of impact of technology on
society. My review discusses the general goodness of the book and its
themes, but I'll just add here that although I don't in the review
discuss the specific relevance to Lisp, I think among Lisp programmers
are many of the keepers of society's "think outside the box"
philosophy. The book also makes some direct references to free
software and lisp machines. (The references to Lisp are not an
extensive part of the book but were interesting color.)

While nothing keeps you from discussing it here if you like, I'll
probably be more responsive to conversation made on the thread of my
blog. (It's easy to get an account over there, so that shouldn't be
that much of a roadblock. And, of course, you can read the post
without having an account.)
--Kent

[1] For the curious, an index of my blog topics is at
http://www.nhplace.com/kent/blog-summary.html since the list at Open
Salon gives me too little presentation control. If you have topic
ideas, including technical ones, you can find info on how to suggest
them there.