From: Sachin on
I have a huge file(of size ~6GB). It is residing on my PC's NTFS drive,
My system is Windows XP SP2.

When I try to copy the file to a USB disk, which is formatted as FAT32 -
then it gives me error as "There is no enough disk space available"
(The wording might not be correct, but it said this thing).

While in fact, the problem is with the underlying file system.
One of my friend who is not expert, could not get the real root cause, and
unnecessarily deleted all the files on the drive thinking that it is really
'out of space'.

It would be great if Windows can flash the correct error; something like
"Underlying filesystem does not support such a big file" or something like
that - instead of saying "There is no disk space" which is actually a
misleading message.

Cheers,
-Sachin
From: Leonard Grey on
Which file system was created first?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: Sachin on

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Which file system was created first?

Actually the USB disk was purchased a year ago, and it was by default
formatted as FAT32, I didnt change it.

The XP machine was also setup 8-9 months back.
I tried on a freshly installed machine also (filesystem was created fresh)

As such, the USB disk was not always connected to my PC.

I didnt get what you are trying to ask, but to answer your question: "The
FAT32 file system on my USB disk was created first."

I tried copying from a pen drive(which was formatted to NTFS after I got
this error, and copied the file from PC's hard drive) to the USB disk(FAT32),
but same error.

From: Touch Base on

"Sachin" <Sachin(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Your flash drive/usb drive needs to be formatted using NTFS
as the file system. A FAT32 drive cannot handle the
transfer of files exceeding 4GBs.

--
Regards,
Touch Base

"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy
to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know
how to use my telephone." (Bjarne Stroustrup, computer scientist and creator
of the C++ programming language.)

From: Sachin on
"Touch Base" wrote:

> Your flash drive/usb drive needs to be formatted using NTFS
> as the file system. A FAT32 drive cannot handle the
> transfer of files exceeding 4GBs.

Thanks for the info.
I agree with what are you saying and ultimately did the same thing.

But my concern is that, the error message shown by Windows is misleading.
It does not talk(or gives hint) about what you have correctly explained.
So unless one has previous knowledge about this or does a search on it, he's
confused(thinking that, even though my device has enough space why does
windows complain?)
Hope I made it clear!
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4