From: Spyder42 on
I hope this is the right place to ask this, and appologise if it's
not. I'm trying to install 2.6.5 in Win98 se final. It says "a
required dll could not be run". Do I have to upgrade my whole OS just
to install this, or is there a fix I can apply to 98 to make it work.
The installer doesn't say what dll is missing, just that it is.

Thanks in advance.
L8r
Spyder

From: Christian Heimes on
Am 04.06.2010 14:38, schrieb Spyder42:
> I hope this is the right place to ask this, and appologise if it's
> not. I'm trying to install 2.6.5 in Win98 se final. It says "a
> required dll could not be run". Do I have to upgrade my whole OS just
> to install this, or is there a fix I can apply to 98 to make it work.
> The installer doesn't say what dll is missing, just that it is.

Python 2.6 is not supported on Windows 98 and earlier. You need at least
Windows 2000 with a recent service pack.

Christian

From: Spyder42 on
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 14:50:28 +0200, Christian Heimes
<lists(a)cheimes.de> wrote:

>Python 2.6 is not supported on Windows 98 and earlier. You need at least
>Windows 2000 with a recent service pack.
>
>Christian

So your response is either, you don't know if there is a fix, or 'No
way in h377.' You couldn't figure out by my post that I already knew
that?
From: Christian Heimes on
> So your response is either, you don't know if there is a fix, or 'No
> way in h377.' You couldn't figure out by my post that I already knew
> that?

Let me paraphrase my answer:

You can't run Python 2.6 on Windows 98 because we have dropped support
for any Windows older than Windows 2000 SP4. It's documented at
http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html#port-specific-changes-windows ,
too.

Christian

From: Spyder42 on
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:32:15 +0200, Christian Heimes
<lists(a)cheimes.de> wrote:

>> So your response is either, you don't know if there is a fix, or 'No
>> way in h377.' You couldn't figure out by my post that I already knew
>> that?
>
>Let me paraphrase my answer:
>
>You can't run Python 2.6 on Windows 98 because we have dropped support
>for any Windows older than Windows 2000 SP4. It's documented at
>http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html#port-specific-changes-windows ,
>too.
>
>Christian

Yes, I get that. So your answer is... You have no idea as to weather
there is a workaround, or a fix, or patch or anything that would help.
right? I don't consider buying an OS to be a valid workaround.

Thanks
Spyder