From: Richard on
(This may be repeated....if so, sorry!)When I start my computer (with
Win XP Home SP3 installed), just after the BIOS info screen and before
Windows even kicks in, I get a white progress bar at the bottom of the
screen that fills up over about 20 minutes before the usual Windows
logo/start screen appears. Looking at the event viewer for the System I
find that "boot-start or system-start driver "bthex" was not found.
Looking in the Registry indicates that bthex is expected to be found in
Win\System32\Drivers. It is not there, so something has suddenly
deleted\renamed it or something. I have put my installation DVD in the
drive and tried a repair but this driver cannot be located there, and I
have googled for it but with no luck. Can anyone suggest where I might
find this system file, or maybe even search for it on their own Syste32
folder and make it available to me?? Many thanks for any help in advance.
Richard
From: John John - MVP on
Richard wrote:
> (This may be repeated....if so, sorry!)When I start my computer (with
> Win XP Home SP3 installed), just after the BIOS info screen and before
> Windows even kicks in, I get a white progress bar at the bottom of the
> screen that fills up over about 20 minutes before the usual Windows
> logo/start screen appears. Looking at the event viewer for the System I
> find that "boot-start or system-start driver "bthex" was not found.
> Looking in the Registry indicates that bthex is expected to be found in
> Win\System32\Drivers. It is not there, so something has suddenly
> deleted\renamed it or something. I have put my installation DVD in the
> drive and tried a repair but this driver cannot be located there, and I
> have googled for it but with no luck. Can anyone suggest where I might
> find this system file, or maybe even search for it on their own Syste32
> folder and make it available to me?? Many thanks for any help in advance.

If it's a driver it would be a .sys file (not a .dll). A search for
this file yields no results, often an indication that the file is virus
or malware related. I would suggest that you make sure that the machine
is free of any pests.

Where *exactly* in the registry did you find reference to this file? It
could be that your Anti-Virus tools have removed an infection and that
the entry is just a remnant.

John
From: Richard on
On 24/06/2010 13:20, John John - MVP wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> (This may be repeated....if so, sorry!)When I start my computer (with
>> Win XP Home SP3 installed), just after the BIOS info screen and before
>> Windows even kicks in, I get a white progress bar at the bottom of the
>> screen that fills up over about 20 minutes before the usual Windows
>> logo/start screen appears. Looking at the event viewer for the System
>> I find that "boot-start or system-start driver "bthex" was not found.
>> Looking in the Registry indicates that bthex is expected to be found
>> in Win\System32\Drivers. It is not there, so something has suddenly
>> deleted\renamed it or something. I have put my installation DVD in the
>> drive and tried a repair but this driver cannot be located there, and
>> I have googled for it but with no luck. Can anyone suggest where I
>> might find this system file, or maybe even search for it on their own
>> Syste32 folder and make it available to me?? Many thanks for any help
>> in advance.
>
> If it's a driver it would be a .sys file (not a .dll). A search for this
> file yields no results, often an indication that the file is virus or
> malware related. I would suggest that you make sure that the machine is
> free of any pests.
>
> Where *exactly* in the registry did you find reference to this file? It
> could be that your Anti-Virus tools have removed an infection and that
> the entry is just a remnant.
>
> John
Hi John, I think it is a .sys file. I have run Anti MalwareBytes
AntiMalware, SuperAntiSpyware and Kaspersky's Virus Removal Tool. The
first two indicate no problems, but Kaspersky *DID* identify some
threats and *DID* remove them. If it was as you suggest the remnant of
an infection,why would my boot-start continue for so long to look for
it, and how can I tell it not to, and get my boot time back to
acceptable levels? 25 mins is just too long especially when reboots are
being asked for by other (OK) programs. Thanks for your help.
Richard
From: Richard on
On 24/06/2010 13:20, John John - MVP wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> (This may be repeated....if so, sorry!)When I start my computer (with
>> Win XP Home SP3 installed), just after the BIOS info screen and before
>> Windows even kicks in, I get a white progress bar at the bottom of the
>> screen that fills up over about 20 minutes before the usual Windows
>> logo/start screen appears. Looking at the event viewer for the System
>> I find that "boot-start or system-start driver "bthex" was not found.
>> Looking in the Registry indicates that bthex is expected to be found
>> in Win\System32\Drivers. It is not there, so something has suddenly
>> deleted\renamed it or something. I have put my installation DVD in the
>> drive and tried a repair but this driver cannot be located there, and
>> I have googled for it but with no luck. Can anyone suggest where I
>> might find this system file, or maybe even search for it on their own
>> Syste32 folder and make it available to me?? Many thanks for any help
>> in advance.
>
> If it's a driver it would be a .sys file (not a .dll). A search for this
> file yields no results, often an indication that the file is virus or
> malware related. I would suggest that you make sure that the machine is
> free of any pests.
>
> Where *exactly* in the registry did you find reference to this file? It
> could be that your Anti-Virus tools have removed an infection and that
> the entry is just a remnant.
>
> John
Appears at HKLM/System/ControlSet001(and
003)/Enum/Root/LEGACY_BTHEX/NextInstance (REG_DWORD set to "1") which I
am not allowed to edit: also at ditto\controlset001 (and
3)/services/bthex/ (and services/enum/explorerbars/{C4EE31})ImagePath
REG_DWORD set to "system32/drivers/bthex.sys." If I delete all these
references, could that help??
From: John John - MVP on
Richard wrote:
> On 24/06/2010 13:20, John John - MVP wrote:
>> Richard wrote:
>>> (This may be repeated....if so, sorry!)When I start my computer (with
>>> Win XP Home SP3 installed), just after the BIOS info screen and before
>>> Windows even kicks in, I get a white progress bar at the bottom of the
>>> screen that fills up over about 20 minutes before the usual Windows
>>> logo/start screen appears. Looking at the event viewer for the System
>>> I find that "boot-start or system-start driver "bthex" was not found.
>>> Looking in the Registry indicates that bthex is expected to be found
>>> in Win\System32\Drivers. It is not there, so something has suddenly
>>> deleted\renamed it or something. I have put my installation DVD in the
>>> drive and tried a repair but this driver cannot be located there, and
>>> I have googled for it but with no luck. Can anyone suggest where I
>>> might find this system file, or maybe even search for it on their own
>>> Syste32 folder and make it available to me?? Many thanks for any help
>>> in advance.
>>
>> If it's a driver it would be a .sys file (not a .dll). A search for this
>> file yields no results, often an indication that the file is virus or
>> malware related. I would suggest that you make sure that the machine is
>> free of any pests.
>>
>> Where *exactly* in the registry did you find reference to this file? It
>> could be that your Anti-Virus tools have removed an infection and that
>> the entry is just a remnant.
>>
>> John
> Appears at HKLM/System/ControlSet001(and
> 003)/Enum/Root/LEGACY_BTHEX/NextInstance (REG_DWORD set to "1") which I
> am not allowed to edit: also at ditto\controlset001 (and
> 3)/services/bthex/ (and services/enum/explorerbars/{C4EE31})ImagePath
> REG_DWORD set to "system32/drivers/bthex.sys." If I delete all these
> references, could that help??

Is it in the CurrentControlSet?

Look for phantom devices in the Device Manager and see if any make
mention this BTHEX driver:

Device Manager does not display devices that are not connected to the
Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

This little batch file will automatically set the Device Manager to show
phantom devices and open it for you:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices-1
start devmgmt.msc

You cannot delete the keys in the Enum section because you do not have
permission to do so, grant yourself the necessary permissions and you
will be able to remove the keys. Before you do that keep in mind that
there is a good reason why only the System account has permission to
delete keys in the in the \Enum branch! It would be best to remove the
device in the Device Manager instead of removing it from the Enum keys.

Before you change the permissions and delete keys please read the
following:

Enum
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/cc976176.aspx

System and Startup Settings