From: Trygve Roaldset on
My dougther bougt this small laptop (Asus 901 8") with Linux. She forgot
her password. There is no cd drive at this computer.
How it is possible to enter this computer again?

T.R.

From: Vahis on
On 2008-12-15, Trygve Roaldset <news(a)nhin.no> wrote:
> My dougther bougt this small laptop (Asus 901 8") with Linux. She forgot
> her password. There is no cd drive at this computer.
> How it is possible to enter this computer again?
>
> T.R.

Resetting root password in Linux is common knowledge.
I'm sure you'll find it yourself.

Vahis
--
"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"
George Harrison
From: Ivan Marsh on
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:50:14 +0100, Trygve Roaldset wrote:

> My dougther bougt this small laptop (Asus 901 8") with Linux. She forgot
> her password. There is no cd drive at this computer.
> How it is possible to enter this computer again?
>
> T.R.

Assumes you're booting GRUB. The procedure for LILO is similar.
http://www.debuntu.org/recover-root-password-single-user-mode-and-grub

--
You don't need the bullet when you got the ballot.

From: Unruh on
"Trygve Roaldset" <news(a)nhin.no> writes:

>My dougther bougt this small laptop (Asus 901 8") with Linux. She forgot
>her password. There is no cd drive at this computer.
>How it is possible to enter this computer again?

There should be both a user and a root password. Does she remember either
of them?

I have no idea how the asus is set up but try this:
switch on the computer. When the menu choice comes up, immediately hit the
tab key and then at the boot: prompt type in
linux 1
This SHOULD now boot up into a console screen without asking for a
password.

At that console type in
passwd bunny
(If her username is not bunny, use her username there instead of bunny)
Now enter a new password at the request. After that completes, do
passwd
and enter a new password for root and remember it. Write it down if need
be, since the threat to her computer will probably not come from inside
your house.

now type
exit

The boot should complete and she should be able to log on.

From: bb on
On 2008-12-15 16:50, Trygve Roaldset wrote:
> My dougther bougt this small laptop (Asus 901 8") with Linux. She
> forgot her password. There is no cd drive at this computer.
> How it is possible to enter this computer again?
>
> T.R.

You asked the same 20/11 , did she not get the manual with the machine?

Just go into BIOS, select default system and start from beginning,
select login without password, since it seems to advanced for her to
remember it.

/bb