From: Victor Duchovni on
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:24:19AM +0200, mouss wrote:

> Jonathan Tripathy a ?crit :
> > [snip]
> >>

> > Now that's a cool feature!
> >
> > However, I think I'll stick with giving the exchange server an
> > "internal" domain, like "exchange.local", as this is what I'm familiar
> > with and I have already got this setup to work.
>
> if you can, avoid ".local". This is not a reserved suffix. instead, use
> a subdomain of yours.

The ".local" TLD is used with mDNS and in conflict with Microsoft Active
Directory for an internal-only TLD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local

It is better to use "exchange.example.com" for a suitable value of
"example.com".

--
Viktor.

From: LuKreme on
On 19-Jul-2010, at 17:40, Victor Duchovni wrote:

> The ".local" TLD is used with mDNS and in conflict with Microsoft Active
> Directory for an internal-only TLD.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local
>
> It is better to use "exchange.example.com" for a suitable value of
> "example.com".

But surely only relevant if you have some windoid admin whose setup used ..local.

I use .local because Bonjour does 99% of the work for me, and I don't do Windows.

--
What are you, Ghouls? There are no dead students here. This week.

From: mouss on
LuKreme a �crit :
> On 19-Jul-2010, at 17:40, Victor Duchovni wrote:
>> The ".local" TLD is used with mDNS and in conflict with Microsoft Active
>> Directory for an internal-only TLD.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local
>>
>> It is better to use "exchange.example.com" for a suitable value of
>> "example.com".
>

> But surely only relevant if you have some windoid admin whose setup used .local.

oh please. This has nothing to do with windows. Linuxers are worst at this.

> I use .local because Bonjour does 99% of the work for me, and I don't do Windows.

I'll repeat myself. .local is not a reserved suffix. nor is
..localdomain, despite what linuxers seem to believe. using such domains
is a hijack. you are telling the IETF: we decided to use these suffixes
and you cannot use them anymore. This is unacceptable. chose your camp...

From: Michael Orlitzky on
On 07/20/2010 06:37 PM, mouss wrote:
> LuKreme a �crit :
>> On 19-Jul-2010, at 17:40, Victor Duchovni wrote:
>>> The ".local" TLD is used with mDNS and in conflict with Microsoft Active
>>> Directory for an internal-only TLD.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local
>>>
>>> It is better to use "exchange.example.com" for a suitable value of
>>> "example.com".
>>

>> But surely only relevant if you have some windoid admin whose setup used .local.
>>

> oh please. This has nothing to do with windows. Linuxers are worst at this.
>
>> I use .local because Bonjour does 99% of the work for me, and I don't do Windows.
>>

> I'll repeat myself. .local is not a reserved suffix. nor is
> .localdomain, despite what linuxers seem to believe. using such domains
> is a hijack. you are telling the IETF: we decided to use these suffixes
> and you cannot use them anymore. This is unacceptable. chose your camp...

I know we're getting off-topic, but this has bothered me in the past.
What is the alternative here? As far as I know, there are no "correct"
reserved domains. Is one bad choice worse than another?

From: Ralf Hildebrandt on
* Michael Orlitzky <michael(a)orlitzky.com>:

> >I'll repeat myself. .local is not a reserved suffix. nor is
> >.localdomain, despite what linuxers seem to believe. using such domains
> >is a hijack. you are telling the IETF: we decided to use these suffixes
> >and you cannot use them anymore. This is unacceptable. chose your camp...
>
> I know we're getting off-topic, but this has bothered me in the past.
> What is the alternative here? As far as I know, there are no
> "correct" reserved domains. Is one bad choice worse than another?

..invalid

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin