From: jiipee on
I could set mobile-usbcable connection 'allmost' automatically filling
the setup. BUT the default route is not set by this (Ubuntu Lucid)
procedure and I must say 'route add default ppp0'?? (This machine has
ethernet, too) Is there somewhere informative description on the
workings of the formation of mobile connection?
From: Pascal Hambourg on
Hello,

jiipee a �crit :
> I could set mobile-usbcable connection 'allmost' automatically filling
> the setup. BUT the default route is not set by this (Ubuntu Lucid)
> procedure and I must say 'route add default ppp0'?? (This machine has
> ethernet, too)

If the machine already has a default route via another interface (i.e.
ethernet) then pppd won't replace it, unless you add the flag
"replacedefaultroute" (if supported by your pppd version, the one in
Debian does so I guess the one in Ubuntu does too) after the option
"defaulroute" in the pppd option file. Check the routing table (route
-n), and in /var/log/syslog for a message saying something like "not
replacing existing default route".

First you can try with the ethernet interface down.
From: jiipee on
On 2010-07-24 11:53, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> If the machine already has a default route via another interface (i.e.
> ethernet) then pppd won't replace it, unless you add the flag
> "replacedefaultroute" (if supported by your pppd version, the one in
> Debian does so I guess the one in Ubuntu does too) after the option
> "defaulroute" in the pppd option file. Check the routing table (route
> -n), and in /var/log/syslog for a message saying something like "not
> replacing existing default route".
>
> First you can try with the ethernet interface down.

Yes, ethernet seems to take preference in routing, even with
replacedefaultroute . 'Link local only' option for eth seems to work...

Now I am wondering how to close and restart mobile connection without
disconnecting the cable (and selecting the conn.type on the phone). As
the connection will not start without this procedure after disconneting...
From: Pascal Hambourg on
jiipee a �crit :
> On 2010-07-24 11:53, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>
>> If the machine already has a default route via another interface (i.e.
>> ethernet) then pppd won't replace it, unless you add the flag
>> "replacedefaultroute" (if supported by your pppd version, the one in
>> Debian does so I guess the one in Ubuntu does too) after the option
>> "defaultroute" in the pppd option file. Check the routing table (route
>> -n), and in /var/log/syslog for a message saying something like "not
>> replacing existing default route".
>>
>> First you can try with the ethernet interface down.
>
> Yes, ethernet seems to take preference in routing, even with
> replacedefaultroute .

Really ? Can you show the pppd logs (in /var/log/syslog IIRC) and the
routing table (ip route or route -n) when the mobile connection is
established and the ethernet interface is configured normally (i.e. not
"in link local only" mode) ?

> 'Link local only' option for eth seems to work...

I guess so, it has the same effect as stopping the interface : remove
its associated default route.