From: Gboro54 on
Hi everyone, i am a third yr computer science major at Albright
College. I am taking a course in AI and i am writting a research paper/
giving a report on Modal Logic...I understand the basic theorems with
no problem but my professor wants to see an example in which a problem
can be solved by modal logic and not first-order logic... In other
words he wants an example of probelm solving in modal logic for an
agent(something along the lines of resoultion refutation and CNF in
first-order logic)...Does anyone know of any good examples that i
could present that would satisfy this requirement??? Thanks

From: Gboro54 on
Any one have any ideas for this....I could really use the help for
this example

From: Barb Knox on
In article <1178895613.409524.257520(a)p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
Gboro54 <gboro54(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone, i am a third yr computer science major at Albright
> College. I am taking a course in AI and i am writting a research paper/
> giving a report on Modal Logic...I understand the basic theorems with
> no problem but my professor wants to see an example in which a problem
> can be solved by modal logic and not first-order logic... In other
> words he wants an example of probelm solving in modal logic for an
> agent(something along the lines of resoultion refutation and CNF in
> first-order logic)...Does anyone know of any good examples that i
> could present that would satisfy this requirement??? Thanks

One real-world example is Arthur Prior's use of modal logic for temporal
reasoning.

--
---------------------------
| BBB b \ Barbara at LivingHistory stop co stop uk
| B B aa rrr b |
| BBB a a r bbb | Quidquid latine dictum sit,
| B B a a r b b | altum viditur.
| BBB aa a r bbb |
-----------------------------
From: Jesse F. Hughes on
Barb Knox <see(a)sig.below> writes:

> In article <1178895613.409524.257520(a)p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
> Gboro54 <gboro54(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone, i am a third yr computer science major at Albright
>> College. I am taking a course in AI and i am writting a research paper/
>> giving a report on Modal Logic...I understand the basic theorems with
>> no problem but my professor wants to see an example in which a problem
>> can be solved by modal logic and not first-order logic... In other
>> words he wants an example of probelm solving in modal logic for an
>> agent(something along the lines of resoultion refutation and CNF in
>> first-order logic)...Does anyone know of any good examples that i
>> could present that would satisfy this requirement??? Thanks
>
> One real-world example is Arthur Prior's use of modal logic for temporal
> reasoning.

Are you sure that couldn't be done in purely first order logic? It
all comes down to quantifying over paths, doesn't it?

--
One these mornings gonna wake | Ain't nobody's doggone business how
up crazy, | my baby treats me,
From: Jesse F. Hughes on
Gboro54 <gboro54(a)gmail.com> writes:

> This is my problem....I have found some examples but everyone he says
> that he can do it with just straigh first order logic and that the
> example does not demostarte why someone would want to learn modal
> logic.... I liked the example at the bottem of this one
> http://www.rpi.edu/~brings/LOG+AI/lai/node7.html#SECTION00041000000000000000
> but he said this does not show the use for modal logic because he
> could solve it using just first order logic

Well, I always thought that modal logic could be reduced to first
order logic, since the modalities are typically given in terms of
quantifiers over possible worlds/states/whatever.

But modal operators are useful nonetheless, since doing the same work
with quantifiers ends up fairly messy. The modal operators are given
fairly simple axioms appropriate to the reasoning we want to do with
them and thus they simplify our arguments. At least, that's how I
always thought about these things.

Aatu will be sure to show us where I went wrong in my confused
notions. Unless he's tired of correcting my mistakes and added me to
his killfile.

But he seems pretty tireless.

--
"It has been shown that no man can sit down to write without a very profound
design. Thus to authors in general trouble is spared. A novelist, for example,