From: philip_b_taylor on
I am looking at the architecture and possible framework solutions for
a system which has the following requirements:
1. Distributed, networked control/data handling/analysis system
2. Multi-platform (Linux, Windows, + Real-time platforms TBD)
3. Multi-language (probably Java, C++, Python)
4. Widely distributed development (worldwide), including academic as
well
as industrial participants.
5. Development time 5-10 years, operational lifetime 20-30 years (yes
really).

The CORBA solution currently proposed is being criticized (amongst
other reasons) as
being "old technology".

Any suggestions as to what the "new technology" solution might be?

Philip Taylor

From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 02:34:23 -0700, philip_b_taylor(a)yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> I am looking at the architecture and possible framework solutions for
> a system which has the following requirements:
> 1. Distributed, networked control/data handling/analysis system
> 2. Multi-platform (Linux, Windows, + Real-time platforms TBD)
> 3. Multi-language (probably Java, C++, Python)

Real-time Python, huh.

> 4. Widely distributed development (worldwide), including academic as
> well as industrial participants.
> 5. Development time 5-10 years, operational lifetime 20-30 years (yes
> really).
>
> The CORBA solution currently proposed is being criticized (amongst
> other reasons) as being "old technology".

CORBA is a middleware. Google for:

distributed middleware, data distribution layer, SCADA infrastructure

> Any suggestions as to what the "new technology" solution might be?

That depends on what you want in *technical* terms. The list above looks
more like a TV advertisement. How many nodes, which topology of
connections, how many process variables, which frequencies, which QoS,
types system?...

If you mean a data distribution / process automation middleware, then there
exist alternatives to CORBA. That does not mean they were better than
CORBA, because much depends on the requirements, see above.

Requirements are greatly different for different application areas. For
example, one middleware initiative for automotive is AUTOSAR
(http://www.autosar.org), it would not well fit avionics. Robotic platforms
is yet another thing, etc. Then there are so-called "business" middlewares
which have little to do with the former, beyond the common name.

As for "new technology," there is no technology for distributed real time,
sorry. It requires a lot of work and care.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: H. S. Lahman on
Responding to Philip_b_taylor...

> I am looking at the architecture and possible framework solutions for
> a system which has the following requirements:
> 1. Distributed, networked control/data handling/analysis system
> 2. Multi-platform (Linux, Windows, + Real-time platforms TBD)
> 3. Multi-language (probably Java, C++, Python)
> 4. Widely distributed development (worldwide), including academic as
> well
> as industrial participants.

IT is beginning to look more like R-T/E every day, isn't it? B-)

> 5. Development time 5-10 years, operational lifetime 20-30 years (yes
> really).
>
> The CORBA solution currently proposed is being criticized (amongst
> other reasons) as
> being "old technology".

Architecture and frameworks are at a higher level of abstraction than
CORBA. CORBA is a specific implementation of a distributed architecture
infrastructure.

For a project this size one needs to think about bigger issues first
(e.g., who is talking to whom, why they are talking, how intimately they
should talk, will the communications be message-based or remote object
access, which conversations will be two-way, etc., etc.). One figures
out the overall system structure and the strategies to deal with
communications constraints and THEN worries about what technologies to
use to implement those strategies.

*************
There is nothing wrong with me that could
not be cured by a capful of Drano.

H. S. Lahman
hsl(a)pathfindermda.com
Pathfinder Solutions
http://www.pathfindermda.com
blog: http://pathfinderpeople.blogs.com/hslahman
"Model-Based Translation: The Next Step in Agile Development". Email
info(a)pathfindermda.com for your copy.
Pathfinder is hiring:
http://www.pathfindermda.com/about_us/careers_pos3.php.
(888)OOA-PATH

From: xpyttl on

<philip_b_taylor(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> 2. Multi-platform (Linux, Windows, + Real-time platforms TBD)
> 3. Multi-language (probably Java, C++, Python)

These two requirements seem to be mutually exclusive. As Dmitry implied,
Python certainly has nothing to do with real time, but you coud make the
same argument for Java, and maybe even C++.

You might consider having some engineers review the marketing hype before
you get too far down the road.

From: spence_m on
On Aug 17, 4:34 am, philip_b_tay...(a)yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> I am looking at the architecture and possible framework solutions for
> a system which has the following requirements:
> 1. Distributed, networked control/data handling/analysis system
> 2. Multi-platform (Linux, Windows, + Real-time platforms TBD)
> 3. Multi-language (probably Java, C++, Python)
> 4. Widely distributed development (worldwide), including academic as
> well
> as industrial participants.
> 5. Development time 5-10 years, operational lifetime 20-30 years (yes
> really).
>
> The CORBA solution currently proposed is being criticized (amongst
> other reasons) as
> being "old technology".
>
> Any suggestions as to what the "new technology" solution might be?
>
> Philip Taylor

Hi Philip,

you may need a family of products.

try TAO for real time C++ CORBA. OpenDDS for real time pub/sub, ACE
for a real time, high performance (socket level) C++ abstraction
layer, JacORB for a Java CORBA implementation, and OpalORB for a perl
ORB. Boost is also a good source of libraries for C++ use.

All are open source, often have the same large community of users,
have been around for a while and have commercial support, good
documenation, training available, good interoperability, share the
same platforms etc. Many Universities do research using them.

Those products are used in defence systems, trading systems, telecom
systems, shop floor control etc.

TAO also has a component model called CIAO which is leading edge. In
general CORBA may be old but the implementations are contemporary,
mutli language, and are being used in demanding situations where other
technology frameworks fall short.

Only open source can gve you the long term use you need. Most of the
installations we support are 10 year minimum systems.

regards Malcolm Spence
Director of Business Development
OCI St. Louis MO USA
www.ociweb.com www.theaceorb.com