From: Charles W Davis on

From: "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup(a)anthemwebs.com>
Subject: Gateway computer problem
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:23 AM

Computer Club member's computer. Gateway 310.

The tower was brought to my place last evening. I started by replacing two
256MB chips with two 1GB chips.
Every time one touched Internet Explorer 6 to resize the screen would go all
squigly and lock up. In Save mode, I installed Firefox and was able to check
with Gateway for an update to the video driver. Oops! Gateway sold that
division to MPC Corporation which has liquidated.

In safe mode I was able to remove 15 medium problems with Malwarebytes
installed from USB Flash. McAfee wouldn't update, couldn't be removed with
Add or Remove programs. Finally used their removal program (carried on my
USB Flash) and removed it. I then installed the Free AVG 9 Anti-virus and
was able to do a complete scan in command line mode in Safe mode. As AVG was
installing it notified me that it couldn't continue with the clock setting.
Set the clock and continued. Have since replaced the CMOS battery. Clock
setting is now stable. Automatic updates brought in 25 updates which
installed without opening IE. IE8 was installed.

Restarted in normal mode and went to Windows update, IE8 again opened in a
very small window and as soon as I attempted to resize it, the screeen
locked up for the umteenth time. I restarted in Safe mode and set the size
for IE8 to full screen. Restarted in normal mode, but IE8 still opened in
the small size.

Firefox gives no problems, even when resizing.

Finally, my monitor is the HP 2709m which may be the problem. Otherwise the
computer runs like a champ.

Any thoughts will be appreciated...

From: db on
when you increased the ram,
the virtual memory should have
increased as well.

try a custom size of initial = 2
and a max of 3000

--
db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: David B. on
The obvious culprit would be the new RAM, download and run memtest to check
for problems.

From: Lem on
Charles W Davis wrote:

> From: "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup(a)anthemwebs.com>
> Subject: Gateway computer problem
> Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:23 AM
>
> Computer Club member's computer. Gateway 310.
>
> The tower was brought to my place last evening. I started by replacing two
> 256MB chips with two 1GB chips.
> Every time one touched Internet Explorer 6 to resize the screen would go
> all
> squigly and lock up. In Save mode, I installed Firefox and was able to
> check
> with Gateway for an update to the video driver. Oops! Gateway sold that
> division to MPC Corporation which has liquidated.
>
> In safe mode I was able to remove 15 medium problems with Malwarebytes
> installed from USB Flash. McAfee wouldn't update, couldn't be removed with
> Add or Remove programs. Finally used their removal program (carried on my
> USB Flash) and removed it. I then installed the Free AVG 9 Anti-virus and
> was able to do a complete scan in command line mode in Safe mode. As AVG
> was
> installing it notified me that it couldn't continue with the clock setting.
> Set the clock and continued. Have since replaced the CMOS battery. Clock
> setting is now stable. Automatic updates brought in 25 updates which
> installed without opening IE. IE8 was installed.
>
> Restarted in normal mode and went to Windows update, IE8 again opened in a
> very small window and as soon as I attempted to resize it, the screeen
> locked up for the umteenth time. I restarted in Safe mode and set the size
> for IE8 to full screen. Restarted in normal mode, but IE8 still opened in
> the small size.
>
> Firefox gives no problems, even when resizing.
>
> Finally, my monitor is the HP 2709m which may be the problem. Otherwise
> the
> computer runs like a champ.
>
> Any thoughts will be appreciated...

Yes, the Gateway-->MPC-->black hole path is very annoying.

Have you tried using msinfo32 or your favorite 3rd party system
information tool (SIW is pretty complete: http://www.gtopala.com/) to
find out the make and model of the video adapter so that you can get an
updated driver?

It also would be useful to know if this problem predated the
installation of the new RAM. If the video card shares the system RAM,
perhaps the new RAM has some bad bits. In a similar vein, are you
certain that the mobo of this old machine can support 2x1GB? Are you
certain that you used the correct type of RAM? What happens if you take
out the new RAM and put in the old?

If you think that your monitor is the problem (why?) try a different
monitor.

I have no clue why IE alone creates a problem. You could try posting in
an IE-specific group, but you'll probably get the response that you have
a hardware problem.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Mark Adams on

"Charles W Davis" wrote:

> From: "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup(a)anthemwebs.com>
> Subject: Gateway computer problem
> Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:23 AM
>
> Computer Club member's computer. Gateway 310.
>
> The tower was brought to my place last evening. I started by replacing two
> 256MB chips with two 1GB chips.
> Every time one touched Internet Explorer 6 to resize the screen would go all
> squigly and lock up. In Save mode, I installed Firefox and was able to check
> with Gateway for an update to the video driver. Oops! Gateway sold that
> division to MPC Corporation which has liquidated.
>
> In safe mode I was able to remove 15 medium problems with Malwarebytes
> installed from USB Flash. McAfee wouldn't update, couldn't be removed with
> Add or Remove programs. Finally used their removal program (carried on my
> USB Flash) and removed it. I then installed the Free AVG 9 Anti-virus and
> was able to do a complete scan in command line mode in Safe mode. As AVG was
> installing it notified me that it couldn't continue with the clock setting.
> Set the clock and continued. Have since replaced the CMOS battery. Clock
> setting is now stable. Automatic updates brought in 25 updates which
> installed without opening IE. IE8 was installed.
>
> Restarted in normal mode and went to Windows update, IE8 again opened in a
> very small window and as soon as I attempted to resize it, the screeen
> locked up for the umteenth time. I restarted in Safe mode and set the size
> for IE8 to full screen. Restarted in normal mode, but IE8 still opened in
> the small size.
>
> Firefox gives no problems, even when resizing.
>
> Finally, my monitor is the HP 2709m which may be the problem. Otherwise the
> computer runs like a champ.
>
> Any thoughts will be appreciated...
>

> .

The monitor won't cause IE to freeze; you said Firefox works fine. The
machine is still infected. Flatten and rebuild.