From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) on
Hi all out there,

I was seeking for the most clean way to have something similar to the
C execv in Ada. I believe this kind of method is not guaranteed to be
available in some environment, this would not be welcome to expect it
to be a standard Ada packages method.

I could simply create a simple wrapper around the corresponding C
library method, but although easy, this way would also be locally
specific, so I wanted to know about cleaner ways to achieve the same
goal, that is, running an external program (or may be also a shell
command) from an Ada application.

I came to know about Ada POSIX bindings, and its seeming only one
implementation : Florist.

I've looked at Florist source I founded in a Debian package (although
I'm running Windows, the source from the Debian package compiled fine
on Windows, thanks to the GPR file Ludovic created for this package)
and noticed it's full of GNAT specific stuff.

What do nice peoples here know about this subject ?

I guess Ada has a lot of concerned with POSIX, but I only this one
binding, Florist, specific to GNAT. Or may be some other vendors also
provide their own implementation of the Florist specifications ? (free
or not free of charge, the may target here should be to know if
weither or not this is a fully GNAT specific binding).

By the way, to come back to my initial quest which I should not
forget, I still wonder if a POSIX binding is really the better way to
run an external program from an Ada application.

Have a nice day (it's evening time here)
From: Manuel Gomez on
On 24 ene, 21:59, Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) <yannick_duch...(a)yahoo.fr>
wrote:
> I came to know about Ada POSIX bindings, and its seeming only one
> implementation : Florist.

> What do nice peoples here know about this subject ?
>
> I guess Ada has a lot of concerned with POSIX, but I only this one
> binding, Florist, specific to GNAT. Or may be some other vendors also
> provide their own implementation of the Florist specifications ? (free
> or not free of charge, the may target here should be to know if
> weither or not this is a fully GNAT specific binding).

Have you read the POSIX binding page on the Ada Programming wikibook
[1]? That's all the information I could gather about the Ada-POSIX
standard. The only implementation of the standard, apart from Florist,
that I found was an incomplete one for Win32 systems by Pascal Obry
[2]. But I've found now that Object Ada for Linux also provides one
[3].

[1] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Platform/POSIX
[2] http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pascal.obry/w32posix.html
[3] http://www.aonix.com/pdf/oa-linux.pdf
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) on
On 26 jan, 20:44, Manuel Gomez <mgr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you read the POSIX binding page on the Ada Programming wikibook
> [1]? That's all the information I could gather about the Ada-POSIX
> standard. The only implementation of the standard, apart from Florist,
> that I found was an incomplete one for Win32 systems by Pascal Obry
> [2]. But I've found now that Object Ada for Linux also provides one
> [3].
>
> [1]http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Platform/POSIX
> [2]http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pascal.obry/w32posix.html
> [3]http://www.aonix.com/pdf/oa-linux.pdf

So it's covered by an ISO standard, that's important to known there is
such a standard, but ISO standards also means “ not public ” (IMHO :
is a standard specification really a standard specification if it's
not public ? ... does not value more than these various states law
citizens do not know about ... )

It's in my bookmarks now any way (obviously thanks for these points).
Gonna order it as soon as I'm rich enough
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) on
And as we are finally talking about a standard : a link to a page with
some words about validation test suites
http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/5btest.html