From: Hammy on

When mosfets are sharing a heatsink how does this effect the total
power handling capability of the fets.

For example if I calculated an allowable 140W dissipation for a single
fet mounted on a large 150mm x 100mm for a max ambient of 50C and max
junction of 110C With a fan 1 x 42CFM.

Would it be possible to get 300 to 400W total dissipation if I
parallel 2 to 4 FETS on the same heatsink? Or would I have to buy 2 or
three more of the large heatsink?

The mosfets are operating in linear mode it's for a variable
electronic load.

To avoid thermal runaway in a fet due to Vgs( th) differences between
devices is it best to use dedicated opamps per fet or large source
resistors? I've read several papers but thought I'd ask here for
someone who has maybe done something similar.
From: Uwe Hercksen on

Hammy schrieb:

> For example if I calculated an allowable 140W dissipation for a single
> fet mounted on a large 150mm x 100mm for a max ambient of 50C and max
> junction of 110C With a fan 1 x 42CFM.
>
> Would it be possible to get 300 to 400W total dissipation if I
> parallel 2 to 4 FETS on the same heatsink? Or would I have to buy 2 or
> three more of the large heatsink?

Hello,

if your calculation is right, two of those fets mounted on two of those
heat sinks will dissipate 140 W each and 280 W together.
Why do you think that one heatsink of the same size will be enough for
300 to 400 W?

Bye

From: Grant on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:48:39 -0400, Hammy <spam(a)spam.com> wrote:

>When mosfets are sharing a heatsink how does this effect the total
>power handling capability of the fets.
>
>For example if I calculated an allowable 140W dissipation for a single
>fet mounted on a large 150mm x 100mm for a max ambient of 50C and max
>junction of 110C With a fan 1 x 42CFM.
>
>Would it be possible to get 300 to 400W total dissipation if I
>parallel 2 to 4 FETS on the same heatsink? Or would I have to buy 2 or
>three more of the large heatsink?
>
>The mosfets are operating in linear mode it's for a variable
>electronic load.
>
>To avoid thermal runaway in a fet due to Vgs( th) differences between
>devices is it best to use dedicated opamps per fet or large source
>resistors? I've read several papers but thought I'd ask here for
>someone who has maybe done something similar.

I put 8 x TO220 FETs direct (non-insulated) on flat aluminium plate,
3mm thick by 40mm to spread heat onto one side of 80mm square fancooled
heatsink rated 0.3'C/W and could easily handle 400W, with an 8 x 0R33,
50W metal pack resistors on other side of heatsink. Two parts of the
heatsink mated to form an 80mm by 200mm tunnel that one bolted a fan
to, I used a 90mm fan via adapter.

0R22 source resistor too small to balance FETs better than 100%, so
I selected best match eight from batch of 20, expensive and still
not a good performer for intended use, okay for manual operation.

If I built one like that again I'd use individual opamps, once saw
a site with that method, but didn't save the reference. An opamp
version with pair of LM324s didn't work very well, so I think you
may need better, faster than LM324.

Also tried 8 NPN transistors instead of N-channel MOSFETs, problems
with drive, leakage, temperature drift :(

What I ended up with was fine for a manually adjusted active load,
but proved unsuitable for the power DAC I was hoping to convert it
too. Got a PWM temp controlled fan, so it's quiet until driven to
high power, and, it could suck 400W all day, 500w for short periods,
with a temperature sensor to shutdown on overheat, of course it's
not properly documented :(

Many rebuilds, and the cap banks I had to hang off it for stability
with some power sources like a mains commutated SCR controlled power
supply, ugh!

Current version power DAC I'm building is saturated FETs driving
resistor banks: P channel for a hi/lo range switched resistor banks.

N channel FETs for thermometer code drive for MSB 3 bits, then
binary weighted resistor banks filling out to 63/64, then a couple
power opamps (3A max output) catching the fine 1/64 end, another
for trimming the 1% resistor bank slop. Opamps driven by dual
8bit DAC chip, entire hybrid power DAC by a PIC chip with 16bit
resolution ADC for feedback. Forgot to order crystals for PIC,

Grant.
From: Paul Keinanen on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:48:39 -0400, Hammy <spam(a)spam.com> wrote:

>For example if I calculated an allowable 140W dissipation for a single
>fet mounted on a large 150mm x 100mm for a max ambient of 50C and max
>junction of 110C With a fan 1 x 42CFM.

The total thermal resistance from junction to ambient is
(110-50)/140=0.43 C/W, which sound very optimistic :-).

The thermal resistance from junction to ambient Rth (j-a) consists of
the thermal resistance from junction to case Rth (j-c) in series with
the thermal resistance from case to ambient Rth (c-a). The thermal
resistance from junction to case can be found from the transistor data
sheet.

Assuming that the Rth (j-c) is 0.20 C/W (what kind of package is this
good?), thus Rth (c-a) would be 0.23 C/W, since 0.20+0.23=0.43 C/W

>Would it be possible to get 300 to 400W total dissipation if I
>parallel 2 to 4 FETS on the same heatsink? Or would I have to buy 2 or
>three more of the large heatsink?

Putting two transistors on the same heatsink will effectively divide
the Rth(j-c) by two, but it does not affect Rth (c-a) thus Rth (j-a)=
0.20/2+0.23=0.33 C/W. Thus P=(110-50)/0.33=182 W.

With 4 transistors on the same small heatsink (assuming the extra
transistors do not disturb the air flow) Rth (j-a)=0.20/4+0.23=0.28
C/W and hence P=214 W.

From: John Larkin on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:49:30 +0300, Paul Keinanen <keinanen(a)sci.fi>
wrote:

>Putting two transistors on the same heatsink will effectively divide
>the Rth(j-c) by two, but it does not affect Rth (c-a)

Actually, it might. One transistor dissipating, say, 100 watts on a
heatsink will suffer from hot-spot effect, namely the heatsink lateral
spreading thermal resistance. That same 100 watts shared among two
transistors, at 50 watts each, would have lower case temperatures. The
issue is that heatsinks are usually specified assuming a uniform heat
load, but transistors are very local spots of heat. The thinner the
baseplate, the worse hot-spots get.

John