From: Hammy on
When Mosfet switching times are shown in the data sheets i.e ton,toff
and tdelay. They specify an Rg value. Is this Rg value the driver
resistance or the internal mosfet mesh resistance?

The reason I'm asking is that every FET sheet uses a different value
of Rg for testing. The ones with the lower Rg have the quickest
switching times.

For example two similar devices a Fairchild

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FQ/FQP18N50V2.pdf

And a ST device.

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/9118/stw20nk50z.pdf

The ST device uses an Rg of 4.7 oHms while the Fairchild device uses
an Rg of 25oHms.

The ST devices shows much faster transitions but has twice the gate
charge. I would prefer to use the Fairchild device if I know that Rg
is set by the driver I would know that the same speeds could be
obtained as the ST device. Is this correct?

If it is the driver resistance, why would they test with a high Rg
,it's not flattering to the mosfet?
From: John Larkin on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:14:59 -0400, Hammy <spam(a)spam.com> wrote:

>When Mosfet switching times are shown in the data sheets i.e ton,toff
>and tdelay. They specify an Rg value. Is this Rg value the driver
>resistance or the internal mosfet mesh resistance?

It's the test generator impedance, usually.

>The reason I'm asking is that every FET sheet uses a different value
>of Rg for testing. The ones with the lower Rg have the quickest
>switching times.

Makes sense.

>For example two similar devices a Fairchild
>
>http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FQ/FQP18N50V2.pdf
>
>And a ST device.
>
>http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/9118/stw20nk50z.pdf
>
>The ST device uses an Rg of 4.7 oHms while the Fairchild device uses
>an Rg of 25oHms.
>
>The ST devices shows much faster transitions but has twice the gate
>charge. I would prefer to use the Fairchild device if I know that Rg
>is set by the driver I would know that the same speeds could be
>obtained as the ST device. Is this correct?
>
>If it is the driver resistance, why would they test with a high Rg
>,it's not flattering to the mosfet?

Don't know.

Most mosfets will switch much faster than their datasheets suggest, if
you just drive them hard. The Fairchild BSS123 datasheet cites a
typical turn-on rise time of 9 ns, and 17 for turnoff.

They will actually do this:

http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSimages/T760%20wave-web.jpg

That's a 100 volt pulse into 50 ohms, transformer isolated.

Given the complications of driver and fet inductances and such, and
the state of the datasheets, the best thing to do is experiment. If
you want to go fast, you should probably stick to one manufacturer and
not assume that identical part numbers are always interchangable. Buy
a reel.

John

From: Hammy on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:28:14 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

[snip]

>Most mosfets will switch much faster than their datasheets suggest, if
>you just drive them hard. The Fairchild BSS123 datasheet cites a
>typical turn-on rise time of 9 ns, and 17 for turnoff.

I never paid much attention too data sheet switching times until
recently. Mainly from the emphasis some people here and in other
forums place on them. So I was beginning to think I may be missing
something, but I guess not.

I've always just used Qg and my drivers sink/source ability to
estimate times.

>They will actually do this:
>
>http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSimages/T760%20wave-web.jpg
>
>That's a 100 volt pulse into 50 ohms, transformer isolated.

Your exceeding the 25C pulsed current rateing a tad. ;-)

>Given the complications of driver and fet inductances and such, and
>the state of the datasheets, the best thing to do is experiment. If
>you want to go fast, you should probably stick to one manufacturer and
>not assume that identical part numbers are always interchangable. Buy
>a reel.
>
>John
Yes your right I plan on experimenting with both and maybe a couple
others I have in the applications.

From: John Larkin on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 13:22:46 -0400, Hammy <spam(a)spam.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:28:14 -0700, John Larkin
><jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>>
>>Most mosfets will switch much faster than their datasheets suggest, if
>>you just drive them hard. The Fairchild BSS123 datasheet cites a
>>typical turn-on rise time of 9 ns, and 17 for turnoff.
>
>I never paid much attention too data sheet switching times until
>recently. Mainly from the emphasis some people here and in other
>forums place on them. So I was beginning to think I may be missing
>something, but I guess not.
>
>I've always just used Qg and my drivers sink/source ability to
>estimate times.

I generally assume that mosfet silicon is infinitely fast, and that
only capacitances and wirebond inductances get in the way. Seems to
work so far.

>>They will actually do this:
>>
>>http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSimages/T760%20wave-web.jpg
>>
>>That's a 100 volt pulse into 50 ohms, transformer isolated.
>
>Your exceeding the 25C pulsed current rateing a tad. ;-)

Life in the fast lane!

John

From: Jon Kirwan on
wrote:

>When Mosfet switching times are shown in the data sheets i.e ton,toff
>and tdelay. They specify an Rg value. Is this Rg value the driver
>resistance or the internal mosfet mesh resistance?

I've taken it as a device parameter, pretty much as discussed
here:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/an/AN/AN-7017.pdf

.... except that Rg is a term applied elsewhere, too. For
example, I've seen Rg_i used for the mosfet's Rg, then Rg
used for an explicit/implicit series Rg that is external to
the device, and then Rg_hi and Rg_lo also for the high side
and low side equivalent driving resistance of the gate
driver. So I think context is important.

But on a datasheet, unless specified as part of the testing
setup, I don't think those external values are included in
the Rg value ascribed to the part, itself.

Of course, I'm not an expert reader, either. But that's the
impression I've taken.

>snip>
>If it is the driver resistance, why would they test with a high Rg
>,it's not flattering to the mosfet?

Few would intentionally shoot themselves in the foot.

Jon