From: root on
New motherboards often have a small fan covering one
of the bridge chips. Likewise, expensive graphics
cards have a fan on their processor. These fans
are cheaply made.

Is there protection for the MB/card to keep their
chips from frying if the tiny little fan fails?

TIA
From: Meat Plow on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:43:36 +0000, root ǝʇoɹʍ:

> New motherboards often have a small fan covering one of the bridge
> chips. Likewise, expensive graphics cards have a fan on their processor.
> These fans are cheaply made.
>
> Is there protection for the MB/card to keep their chips from frying if
> the tiny little fan fails?

No.

From: Meat Plow on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 22:13:51 +0000, Meat Plow ǝʇoɹʍ:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:43:36 +0000, root ǝʇoɹʍ:
>
>> New motherboards often have a small fan covering one of the bridge
>> chips. Likewise, expensive graphics cards have a fan on their
>> processor. These fans are cheaply made.
>>
>> Is there protection for the MB/card to keep their chips from frying if
>> the tiny little fan fails?
>>
> No.

I'll revise that and say that if said fan is monitored then there can be
an audible alert set up if the fan drops below a certain RPM. The fan
would need to have three wires to be monitored. Also in BIOS there should
be a setting to alert if the mainboard goes over a set temperature limit.
The default limits are usually good enough to use.

From: ian field on

"Meat Plow" <mhywatt(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 22:13:51 +0000, Meat Plow ??o??:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:43:36 +0000, root ??o??:
>>
>>> New motherboards often have a small fan covering one of the bridge
>>> chips. Likewise, expensive graphics cards have a fan on their
>>> processor. These fans are cheaply made.
>>>
>>> Is there protection for the MB/card to keep their chips from frying if
>>> the tiny little fan fails?
>>>
>> No.
>
> I'll revise that and say that if said fan is monitored then there can be
> an audible alert set up if the fan drops below a certain RPM. The fan
> would need to have three wires to be monitored. Also in BIOS there should
> be a setting to alert if the mainboard goes over a set temperature limit.
> The default limits are usually good enough to use.

Some motherboards have thermistors mounted under various chips and software
included on the setup disk with temp monitor and alarm.

I think my other PC has it, but its not obvious - I'd have to re-run the
setup disk to find out where it is.

Either that or I didn't bother with it last time I did a clean install.

From: Dave Platt on
>New motherboards often have a small fan covering one
>of the bridge chips. Likewise, expensive graphics
>cards have a fan on their processor. These fans
>are cheaply made.
>
>Is there protection for the MB/card to keep their
>chips from frying if the tiny little fan fails?

On most motherboards built today, there's a temperature sensor
associated with the CPU (sometimes several e.g. individual temperature-
sensing diodes in the CPU's cores) and others on the board. The
sensor values can be read out (often via SMBUS) by the BIOS or other
software.

Better motherboards use three-wire fans with tachometers, where the
tach frequency can be read out of the sensor chip.

Modern BIOSes will usually let you set a temperature alarm, on a
per-sensor basis, and arrange for some sort of emergency action if the
temperature rises too high or the fan speed drops too low. The
actions can involve slowing the CPU clock to reduce power consumption,
sounding an audible alarm, triggering an OS shutdown, or (in extreme
cases) just halting the processor(s).

Graphics cards could implement similar fail-safe mechanisms. I don't
know if they do.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt(a)radagast.org> AE6EO