From: Bill in Co on
AdeW wrote:
> On Jul 29, 8:04 am, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
> <G6...(a)soft255.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <i2o52i$go...(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Dan
>> W<notha...(a)sorry.cuz> writes:
>>
>>> Did you download and install new mouse driver(s) for your device.
>>
>> Unless it has some unusual feature, or you want an unusual software
>> function/feature, I thought basic PS/2 mouse working was inherent in
>> Windows, from at least 95 (if not 3.x) on?
>>
>> Has the OP tried another PS/2 mouse? The descriptions sounded to me very
>> much like a failing hardware problem (hope in the mouse not the socket).
>
> I've put a cable tie around the table leg for the mouse cable rather
> putting the cable under the modem cos i felt it might have been a bit
> too close to the mouse when the mouse cable flexes and moves around
> the mouse mat.
>
> I am putting off and procrastinating unplugging my mouse from the ps/2
> port and trying another (and using my local library PCs).
> As you yourself J. P. Gilliver (John) have said about the motherboard
>
> "Sadly, the mouse socket is soldered into the motherboard; as anyone
> who's worked on electronics knows, connectors soldered into boards
> (at
> least right-angle ones) tend to go flaky after a while. A mouse one,
> where (however small) flexings of the cable are continuously applied,
> is
> more likely to go, I suppose. (The keyboard connector is part of the
> same structure.) "
>
> Could unplugging and replugging make the soldering to the motherboard
> worse?

Possibly, but probably not likely (and if it's already intermittent, it will
stay such, so it's not going to make much practical difference).

I haven't been following all of the discussion, but you could probably
determine if an intermittent mouse problem is in the PS/2 connector or the
cable by wiggling the connector right where it plugs in, versus holding the
connector steady with one hand, and wiggling just the cable where it enters
the connector (while holding the connector firm in the other hand).

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <j46dnZpqwsuPR8zRnZ2dnUVZ_tednZ2d(a)earthlink.com>, Bill in Co
<surly_curmudgeon(a)earthlink.net> writes:
>AdeW wrote:
[]
>> Could unplugging and replugging make the soldering to the motherboard
>> worse?
>
>Possibly, but probably not likely (and if it's already intermittent, it will
>stay such, so it's not going to make much practical difference).

I'd disagree slightly - unplugging and replugging will put a _lot_ more
stress on the connector and its joints than just waggling. Though as SC
says, if it's already on the way out, it _might_ not matter so much.
(Or, it might kill it altogether, of course.)

>I haven't been following all of the discussion, but you could probably
>determine if an intermittent mouse problem is in the PS/2 connector or the
>cable by wiggling the connector right where it plugs in, versus holding the
>connector steady with one hand, and wiggling just the cable where it enters
>the connector (while holding the connector firm in the other hand).

Trying another mouse would also give useful information ...
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
From: Bill in Co on
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <j46dnZpqwsuPR8zRnZ2dnUVZ_tednZ2d(a)earthlink.com>, Bill in Co
> <surly_curmudgeon(a)earthlink.net> writes:
>> AdeW wrote:
> []
>>> Could unplugging and replugging make the soldering to the motherboard
>>> worse?
>>
>> Possibly, but probably not likely (and if it's already intermittent, it
>> will
>> stay such, so it's not going to make much practical difference).
>
> I'd disagree slightly - unplugging and replugging will put a _lot_ more
> stress on the connector and its joints than just waggling. Though as SC
> says, if it's already on the way out, it _might_ not matter so much.
> (Or, it might kill it altogether, of course.)

OK. My point was if it's already flaky, it's probably not going to matter
too much, but you're right, it *could* make it worse. If it's that bad,
and assuming this PS/2 connector is the problem, I'm not sure what practical
solution exists, short of opening it all up and resoldering - a real PIA.
Even a "mickey mouse fix" (like gluing the mouse cable or an additional
plug-in adapter might not be doable, but if I were desperate, I might just
try :-)

Well, I guess one could go to a USB mouse, and just sidestep the problem.
Maybe that's the best solution, IF the problem was due to the mounted PS/2
connector.

>> I haven't been following all of the discussion, but you could probably
>> determine if an intermittent mouse problem is in the PS/2 connector or
>> the
>> cable by wiggling the connector right where it plugs in, versus holding
>> the
>> connector steady with one hand, and wiggling just the cable where it
>> enters
>> the connector (while holding the connector firm in the other hand).
>>

> Trying another mouse would also give useful information ...

Absolutely. Wonder if he has tried that yet.