From: mp on
I'm working on a little app for my own use, to have a form with multiple
"file views"
at this point i'm using listboxes, populated with the files from selected
folders
click a button, add a listbox(control array), select a folder- file list
appears

typically i have to look at a dozen or so explorers during the day and it's
handy to have them all in one form so i don't have to manually resize and
reposition lots of windows.

i'm wondering if there's a way (api?) to substitute a more windows explorer
type view for the list box.(without the toolbars and captions at top - just
the file window)

i could use a list view, make similar headings for file/date/etc - but then
i have to implement all the sorting/right click menus etc...so i'm wondering
if there's anything that would be partially 'ready made' and i could just
replace the calls that add a list box to the form with a call to adding a ?
to the form

any ideas?
thanks
mark

From: GS on
mp expressed precisely :
> I'm working on a little app for my own use, to have a form with multiple
> "file views"
> at this point i'm using listboxes, populated with the files from selected
> folders
> click a button, add a listbox(control array), select a folder- file list
> appears
>
> typically i have to look at a dozen or so explorers during the day and it's
> handy to have them all in one form so i don't have to manually resize and
> reposition lots of windows.
>
> i'm wondering if there's a way (api?) to substitute a more windows explorer
> type view for the list box.(without the toolbars and captions at top - just
> the file window)
>
> i could use a list view, make similar headings for file/date/etc - but then i
> have to implement all the sorting/right click menus etc...

What sorting and right-click menus? If you treat the listview[s] same
as a listbox, there's nothing to do unless you want a right-click menu.
The contents will be ordered same as found in the folder and so if you
just add them in the order found then what sorting do you need?

> so i'm wondering if
> there's anything that would be partially 'ready made' and i could just
> replace the calls that add a list box to the form with a call to adding a ?
> to the form

Not that I know of that's 'free'. But once you set up a listview it's
pretty much going to be what you want<IMO>, and so adding multiple
instances should be as easy as changing the ref for your listbox to ref
the listview.

Other options would be a grid control OR an automated instance of
Excel, where you can add a worksheet for each folder and store the
details in columns that mimic an explorer fileview pane. You could also
view multiple folders on a single sheet and just pan horizontally.

--
Garry

From: mp on

"GS" <gesansom(a)netscape.net> wrote in message
> mp expressed precisely :
>> I'm working on a little app for my own use, to have a form with multiple
>> "file views"
>> at this point i'm using listboxes, populated with the files from selected
>> folders
>> click a button, add a listbox(control array), select a folder- file list
>> appears
>>
>> typically i have to look at a dozen or so explorers during the day and
>> it's handy to have them all in one form so i don't have to manually
>> resize and reposition lots of windows.
>>
>> i'm wondering if there's a way (api?) to substitute a more windows
>> explorer type view for the list box.(without the toolbars and captions at
>> top - just the file window)
>>
>> i could use a list view, make similar headings for file/date/etc - but
>> then i have to implement all the sorting/right click menus etc...
>
> What sorting and right-click menus? If you treat the listview[s] same as a
> listbox, there's nothing to do unless you want a right-click menu. The
> contents will be ordered same as found in the folder and so if you just
> add them in the order found then what sorting do you need?

oh just like you can click the header of a column and sort on that column,
eg, date, or name
i know you can do that with some fancy tricks, i'm sure ive got some
articles on that around here somewhere...
or right click menu to open, or delete a file, or whatever...
also probably want to add drag drop, which of course is also doable...

>> so i'm wondering if there's anything that would be partially 'ready made'
>> and i could just replace the calls that add a list box to the form with a
>> call to adding a ? to the form
>
> Not that I know of that's 'free'. But once you set up a listview it's
> pretty much going to be what you want<IMO>, and so adding multiple
> instances should be as easy as changing the ref for your listbox to ref
> the listview.

probably that would be the way to go, thanks for the nudge...

From: Jimekus on
On Jun 26, 11:16 am, "mp" <nos...(a)thanks.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a little app for my own use, to have a form with multiple
> "file views"
> at this point i'm using listboxes, populated with the files from selected
> folders
> click a button, add a listbox(control array), select a folder- file list
> appears
>
> typically i have to look at a dozen or so explorers during the day and it's
> handy to have them all in one form so i don't have to manually resize and
> reposition lots of windows.
>
> i'm wondering if there's a way (api?) to substitute a more windows explorer
> type view for the list box.(without the toolbars and captions at top - just
> the file window)
>
> i could use a list view, make similar headings for file/date/etc - but then
> i have to implement all the sorting/right click menus etc...so i'm wondering
> if there's anything that would be partially 'ready made' and i could just
> replace the calls that add a list box to the form with a call to adding a ?
> to the form
>
> any ideas?
> thanks
> mark

CubicExplorer has session tabs that can be saved. I think it's from
some folks at Mozilla.
From: Mayayana on
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I
really wonder whether that idea is worth the trouble.
A giant window with numerous Explorer views in
it seems awkward. If you really want that then why
not just use Explorer?

Put a button, a label, and a WebBrowser control
on a form. (I named the latter WB because I hate to type.)
Add a reference to "Microsoft Shell Controls and
Automation". Add the following code to the form:

'----------------------------------------
Option Explicit

Enum FOLDERVIEWMODE
FVM_ICON = 1
FVM_SMALLICON = 2
FVM_LIST = 3
FVM_DETAILS = 4
FVM_THUMBNAIL = 5
FVM_TILE = 6
FVM_THUMBSTRIP = 7
End Enum

Dim WithEvents SFW As ShellFolderView

Private Sub Command1_Click()
WB.Navigate2 "C:\"
WB.Document.CurrentViewMode = FVM_SMALLICON
End Sub

Private Sub SFW_SelectionChanged()
Debug.Print SFW.SelectedItems.Count
If SFW.SelectedItems.Count = 1 Then
Label1.Caption = SFW.SelectedItems.Item(0).Name
End If
End Sub

Private Sub WB_DocumentComplete(ByVal pDisp As Object, URL As Variant)
Set SFW = WB.Document
End Sub
'---------------------------------------

Back in the days of Active Desktop, a folder window
literally housed an IE browser window. Microsoft pretended
that Explorer and IE are somehow the same thing, so
they'd have an excuse not to cooperate with gov't
regulators in the Netscape case.

IE is no longer directly linked with folder windows,
since WinXP, but Microsoft has maintained backward
compatibility. So when you load a webpage into a WB
you've got an InternetExplorer_Server class window
(a browser instance) and the Document object is a
webpage Document. But if you navigate to a folder,
while the resulting object is still called an InternetExplorer
object, it has nothing to do with IE. The Document object
in that case is a ShellFolderView! A SFV is basically a
wrapper around the folder's ListView, specifically designed
for Explorer's use.

So with numerous WBs you can open numerous folders
and at the same time hook into Explorer. To try the above
code, just run the program and click the button. Select
different folder items to see their names show above
the folder window. That shows that you have access to
the SFV selection event, and access to any folder item
as a FolderItem object.

Personally, I still don't think it's worth the trouble. I
also do a lot with Explorer, and I maintain close to
a dozen partitions. But I just leave shortcuts on my
Desktop for them. And I add shortcuts in folder windows.

[That was easy pre-XP. In XP I had to write a shell
extension Explorer Bar to do the job:
http://www.jsware.net/jsware/jsfv.php5
]

I find it very convenient. Every folder has custom links
like Windows, System, VB Files, Graphics, etc. So I can
jump from one location to another. Combined with adding
"Open in New Window" to the context menu for folders,
it makes navigation very fast.

The code for jsFolderView is not "open source", but
I'm happy to share any parts that anyone else might
want if they want to make their own Explorer Bar. It
can make folder windows far more functional than just
having the nearly useless "Places Bar". (The Places
Bar is bad enough, but even worse is that the places
change depending on where you are! I'm forever
astonished at how little imagination goes into Explorer's
GUI, considering that's the part that everyone sees.
Microsoft continues to polish the techno-kitsch with
each version. (Don'tcha just love those "transparent
window frames? :) But they don't put much effort into
adding functionality.

| I'm working on a little app for my own use, to have a form with multiple
| "file views"
| at this point i'm using listboxes, populated with the files from selected
| folders
| click a button, add a listbox(control array), select a folder- file list
| appears
|
| typically i have to look at a dozen or so explorers during the day and
it's
| handy to have them all in one form so i don't have to manually resize and
| reposition lots of windows.
|
| i'm wondering if there's a way (api?) to substitute a more windows
explorer
| type view for the list box.(without the toolbars and captions at top -
just
| the file window)
|
| i could use a list view, make similar headings for file/date/etc - but
then
| i have to implement all the sorting/right click menus etc...so i'm
wondering
| if there's anything that would be partially 'ready made' and i could just
| replace the calls that add a list box to the form with a call to adding a
?
| to the form
|
| any ideas?
| thanks