From: Lars on
Hi group,

A friend of a friend went to some electronics fair in Shanghai, and
came back home with tales of a new laptop charger "one size fits all"
type of thing. Small too.

I already have a charger that I can plug into any Voltage between 100
and 240, and Ampage between 0.7 and 1.3 as well as different
frequencies. But its output is fixed, and is not supposed to be used
for laptops rated for different juice.

This Chinese thing comes with a whole bunch of different plugs and is
meant to be used for "all" different laptops. It is supposed to
"sense" what kind of juice the different laptops need.

Is this at all possible?

Lars
Stockholm
From: BillW50 on
In news:4hdbt5pml3dlcmjv4mkh1pbqvjnq7uho2f(a)4ax.com,
Lars typed on Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:11:01 +0200:
> Hi group,
>
> A friend of a friend went to some electronics fair in Shanghai, and
> came back home with tales of a new laptop charger "one size fits all"
> type of thing. Small too.
>
> I already have a charger that I can plug into any Voltage between 100
> and 240, and Ampage between 0.7 and 1.3 as well as different
> frequencies. But its output is fixed, and is not supposed to be used
> for laptops rated for different juice.
>
> This Chinese thing comes with a whole bunch of different plugs and is
> meant to be used for "all" different laptops. It is supposed to
> "sense" what kind of juice the different laptops need.
>
> Is this at all possible?
>
> Lars
> Stockholm

Yes it is quite possible. Sometimes we techs have no idea what kind some
off brand laptop takes. So we have to figure out the polarity first. A
ohm meter usually can figure this one out. And then we slowly raise the
voltage until the laptop will finally power up. And a microprocessor
controlled power supply could be programmed to do all of this.

The ones without a processor control has been around for decades. You
need to change the plugs and select the correct polarity and voltage.
They even make them for cigarette lighter plugs so you can use them in
your auto too.

I have something similar as what you are talking about. But it is a
multi-battery charger. And you can charge lead-acid, Ni-Cad, Ni-MH, and
lithium batteries. It is pretty smart. Senses if the polarity is wrong
and it tells you to reverse the wires. Some types you don't have to tell
it the voltage as it autosenses it. And you can control the current in
small steps. And it also tells you the true capacity as well. And for
Ni-MH and lithium batteries, it has a temperature sensor which you can
stop the charger at any temperature you want too for added safety.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

From: Barry Watzman on
These have been around for over a decade. They are sold by Fellowes and
Radio Shack and Targus. Nothing new.

From: BillW50 on
In news:hr4j4n$1u0$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
Barry Watzman typed on Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:39:30 -0400:
> These have been around for over a decade. They are sold by Fellowes
> and Radio Shack and Targus. Nothing new.

Autosensing power adapters? Where you don't have any switches to set?
Just plug it in and go?

I only know of the old universal power adapters where you have to select
the correct polarity and the voltage. Radio Shack used to have a nice 30
watt one that would plug into the cigarette lighter many years ago. And
they didn't have it long and discontinued it. And I inquired about it
and it turned out that many people didn't know that 30 watt supplies
couldn't power their high powered laptops. So they burned up those 30
watt power adapters and Radio Shack was getting too many returns on
them. I still have mine and it still works fine.

From: Barry Watzman on
You change the "power tips"; they don't "auto sense" the needed voltage,
that was the OP's misunderstanding of what was happening.

Here was what he posted: "This Chinese thing comes with a whole bunch of
different plugs ...."

The plugs are not JUST to change the connector; they also set the
polarity and the voltage.

I've never seen anyone use 30-watt adapters for laptops, or claim that
you could. Even 1995 laptops drew more than that. But a number of
older universal supplies are 60 watts, which is really too low for many
of today's laptops. You can, however, get away with a lot less than the
stated power requirements. The laptop's OEM power supply is rated to
handle a worst case situation .... maximum load on everything while
charging a discharged battery. And the laptops still usually draw 10%
or more less than the rating. I routinely do use 60 watt adapters with
laptops rated for 75 to 90 watts, and have never had a problem, although
I would not say that I never would have one.