From: PEGWINN on
I have two pivot tables based on the same source.

However, each table is unique in how it shows the date. The first shows all
thirty days of the month. The second groups the date in 10 day increments.

The first table is summed data while the other is averaged data.

When I try to set up the second table to group, it also groups the first
table even though its' on a different sheet. I remember being able to do this
in version 2003.

What have I overlooked?
Thanks

Phil
From: Dave Peterson on
In xl2003, I could create the pivottables as separate entities.

I created the first PT and then started to create the second PT.

As soon as I past that step that asks for the range to use, xl2003 pops up with
a message telling me that I'll use less memory if I base my new PT on my
existing report/PT (since it was based on the same source data).

If I click Yes (and save memory), then xl2003 has the same grouping "feature"
that you describe (in xl2007???).

If I click no, I can group each independently.

Off to test xl2007.

If I used the built-in dialogs/buttons, I couldn't get that warning to pop up.

But I could modify the QAT to show the old pivottable wizard.
Rightclick on the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) and show all the commands.
Scroll down and drag the old pivottable wizard to the QAT.

Then rebuild your 2nd PT.

=========
Another option that seemed to work ok.

I put my PT's on separate worksheets. I moved one of the worksheets to a new
workbook. Then I grouped the first PT (in the original workbook) and the PT in
the new workbook wasn't grouped. Then I moved it back.

You may want to experiment to see if it's enough to move out and move back in --
especially if you spent lots of time building your PTs!

--

Dave Peterson
From: Roger Govier on
Hi

Don't go straight to Pivot Tables
First Insert Tab>Data>my table has Headers>give the Table a name (Design
Tab)

From Design Tab>Summarize with Pivot Table.
Repeat the process of Table creation, using the same Data, but give it a
different name.

Copy your First PT and paste a copy wherever you like
On this PT>Options tab>Change data Source>point it to your second data
table.

Excel will maintain a separate Pivot Cache for each PT, and the grouping
will be independent in each.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

From: PEGWINN on
To Dave and Roger:
Thanks!! Both ways work and I actually have a use for each way. Awesome. I
marked both posts as having answered the question. Hope that builds your
Karma. Thanks again!

Phil (is now doing the happy dance)