From: Yongwei Xing on
Hi all

I heard that the clisp support the Multiple Threads from
http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/mt.html#mt-package.
Then I check the *features*
(:LIBSVM :ZLIB :RAWSOCK :PCRE :WILDCARD :DIRKEY :READLINE :REGEXP :SYSCALLS
:I18N :LOOP :COMPILER :CLOS :MOP :CLISP :ANSI-CL :COMMON-
LISP :LISP=CL
:INTERPRETER :SOCKETS :GENERIC-STREAMS :LOGICAL-
PATHNAMES :SCREEN :FFI
:GETTEXT :UNICODE :BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER :PC386 :WIN32)

There is no :MT. Then I found there is line at the top of that page
"Platform Dependent: Only in CLISP built with compile-time flag --with-
threads."
My OS now is Window XP, I only just download the Binay and install it,
how can I build it?
I have another OS is Ubuntu, I have installed the Clisp 2.47. If I
want this feature, I need re-install the clisp? Is it right?
I am not familiar with the Linux. I have another question. If I have
installed the CLisp2.44 , then I want to install the clisp 2.47,
should I remove the 2.44? If so, what should I do?

Best Regards,
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal on
Just get the source (I'm not sure which version has MT support) and
see the INSTALL (or unix/INSTALL) file.

Since you have access to a non brain-damaged platform (Debian!, well
via Ubuntu; but close enough) you can simply do:

apt-get bulid-dep clisp

...and this will pull down all(#1) compilers and library dependencies
and whatnot CLISP will need to build. Then you follow what is
mentioned in the CLISP unix/INSTALL guide(#2). If the "./configure"
procedure still mentions missing dependencies based on the possibility
that a more recent CLISP than the one provided by Debian/Ubuntu built
with more features enabled (MT) might require more dependencies than
what is pulled by the 'build-dep' above, do a search+install as
mentioned in #1.

Note that SBCL already has thread-support and has had for some time.

#1: "All" here is somewhat dependent on a generic CLISP build (or one
that matches what the Debian/Ubuntu devs. went with). So if you want
extra features, the CLISP build process might need more dependencies
and you can get these by doing a "aptitude search" for the appropriate
"lib<something>-dev" dep./library then installing it using the normal
"aptitude install lib<something>-dev" procedure. Note that it might
pull down quite a lot of packages; the entire GCC stack, and I imagine
tools needed to generate various documentation formats (pdf, ps, html)
from the CLISP sources etc..

#2: In particular you want "--with-threads". The install-file will
mention other options, and "configure --help" (or similar; I don't
recall exactly) might mention even more options.
From: Giorgos Keramidas on
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:04:31 -0700 (PDT), Yongwei Xing <jdxyw2004(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I heard that the clisp support the Multiple Threads from
> http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/mt.html#mt-package.
> Then I check the *features*
> (:LIBSVM :ZLIB :RAWSOCK :PCRE :WILDCARD :DIRKEY :READLINE :REGEXP :SYSCALLS
> :I18N :LOOP :COMPILER :CLOS :MOP :CLISP :ANSI-CL :COMMON-
> LISP :LISP=CL
> :INTERPRETER :SOCKETS :GENERIC-STREAMS :LOGICAL-
> PATHNAMES :SCREEN :FFI
> :GETTEXT :UNICODE :BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER :PC386 :WIN32)
>
> There is no :MT. Then I found there is line at the top of that page
> "Platform Dependent: Only in CLISP built with compile-time flag --with-
> threads."

BTW, an easy way to perform the check is:

(member :mt-package *features*)

> I have another OS is Ubuntu, I have installed the Clisp 2.47. If I
> want this feature, I need re-install the clisp? Is it right?

> I am not familiar with the Linux. I have another question. If I have
> installed the CLisp2.44 , then I want to install the clisp 2.47,
> should I remove the 2.44? If so, what should I do?

If you are using Ubuntu Linux, then the 'Synaptic' package manager will
upgrade CLISP for you when there is a newer package in the repository of
your Ubuntu version.

You can start Synaptic and look for CLISP updates the same way as with
any package. See the on-line help for Synaptic at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

for more details.

HTH,
Giorgos

From: Yongwei Xing on
On Oct 26, 7:52 pm, Giorgos Keramidas <keram...(a)ceid.upatras.gr>
wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:04:31 -0700 (PDT), Yongwei Xing <jdxyw2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all
>
> > I heard that the clisp support the Multiple Threads from
> >http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/mt.html#mt-package.
> > Then I check the *features*
> > (:LIBSVM :ZLIB :RAWSOCK :PCRE :WILDCARD :DIRKEY :READLINE :REGEXP :SYSCALLS
> >  :I18N :LOOP :COMPILER :CLOS :MOP :CLISP :ANSI-CL :COMMON-
> > LISP :LISP=CL
> >  :INTERPRETER :SOCKETS :GENERIC-STREAMS :LOGICAL-
> > PATHNAMES :SCREEN :FFI
> >  :GETTEXT :UNICODE :BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER :PC386 :WIN32)
>
> > There is no :MT. Then I found there is line at the top of that page
> > "Platform Dependent: Only in CLISP built with compile-time flag --with-
> > threads."
>
> BTW, an easy way to perform the check is:
>
>     (member :mt-package *features*)
>
> > I have another OS is Ubuntu, I have installed the Clisp 2.47. If I
> > want this feature, I need re-install the clisp? Is it right?
> > I am not familiar with the Linux. I have another question. If I have
> > installed the CLisp2.44 , then I want to install the clisp 2.47,
> > should I remove the 2.44? If so, what should I do?
>
> If you are using Ubuntu Linux, then the 'Synaptic' package manager will
> upgrade CLISP for you when there is a newer package in the repository of
> your Ubuntu version.
>
> You can start Synaptic and look for CLISP updates the same way as with
> any package.  See the on-line help for Synaptic at
>
>    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto
>
> for more details.
>
> HTH,
> Giorgos

If I isntall the clisp from the Synaptic, I only can install the 2.44
version,
so I install it form the souerce code.
From: vlado on
On Oct 26, 3:53 pm, Yongwei Xing <jdxyw2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> If I isntall the clisp from the Synaptic, I only can install the 2.44
> version,
> so I install it form the souerce code.

For threads you need 2.48 - however note that MT is experimental and
has issues. Check the impnotes. Better option is to get cvs head -
many bugs are fixed there.
When building - you should configure with proper threads flavor (--
with-threads=): POSIX_THREADS on linux/bsd/osx or WIN32_THREADS on
win32. The latter (still) does not support thread interruption.

Vladimir