From: jsh02_nova on
Tim,
What registry key value determines the 'default' Shell or ShellEx action
for a File Type? i.e.; 'Command Prompt Here' shell command when added becomes
default over 'Explore'.

v/r
From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <9DAB5E5B-16F1-4A24-8D0D-2429CCBE8820(a)microsoft.com>,
jsh02_nova <jsh02nova(a)discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
>Tim,
> What registry key value determines the 'default' Shell or ShellEx action
>for a File Type? i.e.; 'Command Prompt Here' shell command when added becomes
>default over 'Explore'.
>
>v/r

I hope someone else'll be along shortly to answer your question for File
Types (IIRR it's fairly near the top in regedit, with each filetype
extension having its own section - have a look at the existing ones).
However, Command Prompt Here and Explore are applied to folders
(directories), not file types, I think (left pane in Explorer).
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. -e.e. cummings, poet
(1894-1962)
From: Tim Meddick on
What determines the default action in the registry (under
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\[FileType]\Shell).

It will default to the key under the [Shell] key named "open" first of all.

You can override this default behaviour by changing the normally blank VALUE under
the [Shell] key to determine what key you want to be the default (double-click)
action. But the one named "open" is the one normally executed by default.

If you can understand it, below is a reg-script to add "Open with DOS Editor" to text
files and makes THAT the default action for text files without altering the normal
default of [NotePad] but overriding it by using the "DefaultValue" under the
[Shell] key to override the default action (or action[s] - separated by commas).

If you use this script, to reverse it's effects just open "Folder Options" > "File
Types" go to the [.txt] file entry, click on the "Advanced" button and delete the
entry: "Open with DOS Editor".

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\Shell]
@="dosedit,open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\Shell\dosedit]
@="Open with DOS Editor"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\Shell\dosedit\command]
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\edit.com \"%1\""

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)