From: sci.math on
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
“Plowing the Dark”

A Machine Aided Novel by

by

M. M. M.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
“This is how I was born.”

Prolog

// Download Words by William Whitaker . . . Help
// Input Latin: novel
// Two words
// May be 2 words combined (no+vel)
// If not obvious, probably incorrect
// swim, float;
// even, actually; or even, in deed; or;
// or; [either ... or]
// Translate English to Latin
// lesser
// young, tender;

“They were all the words I had. The rest was all in Latin. I was
starting from scratch. I had to listen and learn as I read.”

// a capite ad calcem from head to heel from top to bottom; all the
// way through (colloquially "from head to toe"). Equally a pedibus
// usque ad caput.

“They say you can learn everything about any living thing simply by
its language. Once an initial pattern is established everything simply
repeats through time.”

// a contrario from the opposite Equivalent to "on the contrary" or
// "au contraire". An argumentum a contrario is an "argument from the
// contrary", an argument or proof by contrast or direct opposite.
// a Deucalione since Deucalion A long time ago. From Gaius
Lucilius // (Satires, 6, 284)

“They say.”

// a fortiori from the stronger Loosely, "even more so" or "with even
// stronger reason". Often used to lead from less certain
// proposition to a more evident corollary.

“Ask me if I believe in religion and I will tell you I do not know
what it means.”

// a mari usque ad mare from sea to sea From Psalm 72:8, "Et
// dominabitur a mari usque ad mare, et a flumine usque ad terminos
// terrae" (KJV: "He shall have dominion also from sea to sea, and
// from the river unto the ends of the earth"). National motto of
// Canada.

“This means nothing to me.”

// a pedibus usque ad caput from feet to head Completely. Similar
to // the English expressions "from tip to toe" or "from top to toe".

“Ask several verses the same thing as the first.”

// Equally a capite ad calcem. See also ab ovo usque ad mala.
// a posse ad esse from being able to being "From possibility to
// actuality" or "from being possible to being actual"
// a posteriori from the latter Based on observation (i.e., empirical
// knowledge), the reverse of a priori.

“This I understand. In mathematics and logic to have done something
known after a proof has been carried out. In philosophy, it can mean
empirical experiences.”

// a priori from the former Presupposed,

“All right, now you’re speaking my language.”

// the reverse of a posteriori. Used in mathematics and logic to
// denote something known or postulated before a proof has been
// carried out. In philosophy, used to denote something
// known without empirical experience.

“I see it now. Something occurring known before it happens, something
vast.”

// Ab initio mundi means "from the beginning of the world".
// ad undas to the waves Equivalent to "to hell".

“I like the first one better.”

// ad usum proprium (ad us. propr.) for one's own use

“For my own purpose.”

// ad usu adequatio intellectus et rei

“One to one correspondence of mind and…”

// ad usu reality

“Is one of the two definitions of truth? When the mind…”

// ad usu has the same form as reality, we think truth.

“I am here. I am here. Who is here? Who is ‘we’?

// adsum I am here Equivalent to "Present!" or "Here!" The opposite
of
// absum (I am absent).

“The second verse is the same as the first.”