From: Jim Maher on
Brian Candler wrote:

> Apologies if this is going way off-topic :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian.

I love this topic - because of the music theory!

I've barely started learning Ruby, so I'm not playing along with the
quiz.

I don't know music theory - AT ALL - but I'd love to learn. Can you
guys recommend a couple great books (e.g., textbooks)?

Thanks,

Jim Maher

From: Brian Candler on
Jim Maher wrote:
> I don't know music theory - AT ALL - but I'd love to learn. Can you
> guys recommend a couple great books (e.g., textbooks)?

The jazz I learned mostly through classes, although I have a couple of
chord progression books. The classical theory was many years ago at
school - I think the main tome was called "The Rudiments of Music"

From: Evan Hanson on
If you're interested in jazz specifically (though if you learn that
picking up the other styles becomes much easier), look for books by
Mark Levine -- I have the Jazz Theory Book and the Jazz Piano Book,
both are top-notch, and the former is considered by many to be the
"Bible" of jazz, so to speak.

From: David Springer on
OK

Here is my solution.
I'm rather new to Ruby.
So this may look more C-like than Ruby-ish.
I am not a musician.
It should be easy to add additional chords.

I could not come up with a good way to decide wich of two equivalent
notes to display.

I'm not sure about the etiquette of attaching a non-compressed file.
Right now I am working under Windows XP.

Not sure how to deliver a .tar.gz file under Windows.

I probably could just do a .z file though.

I was fun AND consumed way too much of my free time.

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/4531/Chords_DNS.rb

From: Hal Fulton on

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM, David Springer <dnspringer(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure about the etiquette of attaching a non-compressed file.
> Right now I am working under Windows XP.

Frankly, I'd rather see inline code rather than an attachment. Especially
if attaching doesn't save any space.

Hal

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6