From: Eef Hartman on
nomail@_invalid_no.org wrote:
> "Waiting for device /dev/sdX to appear: could not find device /dev/sdX
> Want me to fall back to /dev/sdY? (Y/n)"

That mostly means the driver for the "2nd SATA controller" isn't in
the kernel you're booting (cq the initial ramdisk). Just like old
P-ATA often every 2 ports have their own controller.
Look with "/sbin/lspci" if you can identify the kind of SATA
controllers _your_ machine got.

Luckily I don't have the problem here at work:
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
As you can see, this controller can handle up to 6 SATA ports.
BTW: this is a standard HP xw4600 workstation.

But mine at home also has 4 ports (2 internal, 2 e-SATA) but you can
use only two of them (they're jumpered, you either use the internal
OR the external plug for each of them), so now I got one internal
(1 TB) SATA disk and an external one which is connected to a SATA
docking station, in which I can replace the disk itself.
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: Eef Hartman on
nomail@_invalid_no.org wrote:
> With SATA drives I've been using up to 15 partitions and if I remember
> correctly even more than that with PATAs.

With all kind of sd? drives, the maximum is 15 partitions, there are only
16 "minor" numbers reserved for the device files (and the first is for
"the whole disk").
hd? drives have 64 minors, 63 partitions.

From my system:
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 2010-07-28 08:39 /dev/sda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 2010-07-28 08:39 /dev/sdb
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 32 2010-07-28 08:39 /dev/sdc
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 48 2010-07-28 08:39 /dev/sdd
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 64 2010-07-28 08:39 /dev/sde
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 80 2010-08-03 09:25 /dev/sdf
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 96 2010-08-03 09:25 /dev/sdg
^ major, scsi/sata drive
^^ minor number
so minor 0 is sda (and 1 thru 15 its partitions), 16 is sdb,
with partitions up to 31, etc.
As there could be fewer hd? drives, they had more space within the
minor numbers for partitions (there were at MOST 8 hd? drives).

Also the old "cilinder/track/sector" type of MBR fails at about
2 TB, so you need gpt partition tables for drives above that limit.