From: The Heavenly Homemaker on
I had been unable to install two updates since last weekend (KB923275 &
KB923272). I tried almost everything (Checking OSE, AU, and BITS, cleaning up
my computer, re-registering things, etc.).

Today, I solved the problem that I was having. It probably wouldn't hurt for
those of you that are still having update problems to at least attempt this.
What I did was:

FIRST, I TURNED OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES USING THIS METHOD:

(1) Go to the START menu.
(2) Right click MY COMPUTER.
(3) Click PROPERTIES and then the AUTOMATIC UPDATES tab.
(4) Choose TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES.
(5) Reboot your computer.

THEN, I USED THE MICROSOFT INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295823

I used it to remove all versions of Office, Excel Viewer, etc.

NEXT, I REBOOTED MY COMPUTER & REINSTALLED MS OFFICE 2003 (Word, Excel,
Powerpoint, and Outlook) BY USING MY OFFICE 2003 CD.

THEN, I RAN ALL THE UPDATES. They all installed with no problem. I ended up
not needing KB923275 after all, but KB923272 installed with no problem as did
a bunch of other updates.

FINALLY, I ran Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.0, but I think that is
optional. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing any updates. I
also turned the Automatic Updates back on on the Microsoft Update website.

WELL, it worked for me. YMMV. Good luck!
--
The Heavenly Homemaker