From: Clark on

From: Dave Peterson on
You have a Lotus 123 setting toggled on.

Tools|Options|transition tab (in xl2003 menus)
Uncheck all those options.

Re-enter your date.

ps. Please include your question in the body of the message--not just the
subject.

Clark wrote:

--

Dave Peterson
From: Joe User on
"Dave Peterson" <petersod(a)verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> You have a Lotus 123 setting toggled on.
> Tools|Options|transition tab (in xl2003 menus)

I've never played with those options. Just curious....

Even when I set Transition Formula Evaluation and Transition Formula Entry,
I cannot get 0-Jan-00 [sic] or any form of 0/0/1900.

All I ever see is 1/0/1900. And I can get that without setting any
Transition options, simply by entering zero into a cell formatted as Date.

So how does one get effectively 0/0/1900 as a result of setting one or more
Transition options?

From: Dave Peterson on
If you turn on "transition formula entry", and enter the date as:

1/5/2010

Excel will pretend that it's Lotus 123, see the slashes as division symbols and
automatically convert the entry to a formula (inserting an equal sign as the
first character).

You should see: =1/5/2010
in the formula bar when that cell is selected.

And since 1 divided by 5 divided by 2010 is a very small number--much less than
1 and the cell is formatted as a date, you'll see January 0, 1900 (or its
equivalent using your format).

--

Dave Peterson
From: Joe User on
"Dave Peterson" <petersod(a)verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> And since 1 divided by 5 divided by 2010 is a very
> small number--much less than 1 and the cell is
> formatted as a date, you'll see January 0, 1900 (or
> its equivalent using your format).

My mistake. I translated "0-Jan-00" to 0/0/1900 in my mind. Klunk!

> If you turn on "transition formula entry", and enter the date as:
>
> 1/5/2010
>
> Excel will pretend that it's Lotus 123, see the slashes as division
> symbols and
> automatically convert the entry to a formula (inserting an equal sign as
> the
> first character).
>
> You should see: =1/5/2010
> in the formula bar when that cell is selected.
>
> And since 1 divided by 5 divided by 2010 is a very small number--much less
> than
> 1 and the cell is formatted as a date, you'll see January 0, 1900 (or its
> equivalent using your format).
>

> Joe User wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod(a)verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
>> > You have a Lotus 123 setting toggled on.
>> > Tools|Options|transition tab (in xl2003 menus)
>>
>> I've never played with those options. Just curious....
>>
>> Even when I set Transition Formula Evaluation and Transition Formula
>> Entry,
>> I cannot get 0-Jan-00 [sic] or any form of 0/0/1900.
>>
>> All I ever see is 1/0/1900. And I can get that without setting any
>> Transition options, simply by entering zero into a cell formatted as
>> Date.
>>
>> So how does one get effectively 0/0/1900 as a result of setting one or
>> more
>> Transition options?

Pages: 1 2
Prev: Past Questions and Answers