From: "Parham Doustdar" on
Hello there,
A friend called me today and was wondering what happens if the ID colomn of
an MYSQL database, set to autoinc reaches the int limit. Will it return and
begin choosing the ID's that have been deleted, or... what?
Thanks!

From: Nathan Rixham on
Parham Doustdar wrote:
> Hello there,
> A friend called me today and was wondering what happens if the ID colomn of
> an MYSQL database, set to autoinc reaches the int limit. Will it return and
> begin choosing the ID's that have been deleted, or... what?

you change it to bigint before that happens :)

for a more accurate answer ask on the mysql forum?
From: Joseph Thayne on
It will continue to use the max number which of course will cause an error.

Joseph

From: John Meyer on
On 1/25/2010 1:19 PM, Nathan Rixham wrote:
> Parham Doustdar wrote:
>> Hello there,
>> A friend called me today and was wondering what happens if the ID colomn of
>> an MYSQL database, set to autoinc reaches the int limit. Will it return and
>> begin choosing the ID's that have been deleted, or... what?
>
> you change it to bigint before that happens :)
>
> for a more accurate answer ask on the mysql forum?

Or the e-mail list: mysql(a)lists.mysql.com (though I understand the
cross-pollination)

From: Robert Cummings on
Parham Doustdar wrote:
> Hello there,
> A friend called me today and was wondering what happens if the ID colomn of
> an MYSQL database, set to autoinc reaches the int limit. Will it return and
> begin choosing the ID's that have been deleted, or... what?
> Thanks!

Ask Slashdot... I believe they hit the limit one day (several actually)
for comments :)

Cheers,
Rob.
--