From: "Bruno S. Oliveira" on
Hi list!

I'm having some trouble in connecting applications to MySQL databases.

I know some about the MySQL working but it's the first time I have to
develop an application which has to connect to a database.

I've already tried to compile and run the /wxWidgets/samples/db and
the example on the Database classes overview. I use wxWidgets-2.7.0-1
in windows XP and I can't connect to the DB in noone of the two
examples.
I've installed MySQL 4.0.14 and the driver available in
http://dev.mysql.com/ and also set the DNS, user ID and password
proprerly, I think (at last according to the manual in that same url).

In the db sample the command
wxDbGetConnection(DbConnectInf);
Is returning zero. Although I correctly enter the DNS, ID and
password. I don't know what to do with that "Directory" field (when
selecting the data source).

In the database classes overview example, I can't get a database
connection in the command
wxDbGetConnection(DbConnectInf);
It always return NULL.

I couldn't find a more detailed tutorial on DB connection, so I hope
anyone can help me with this or, at least, give me some directions.

Thanks in advance!

Regards.

--
/**
* Bruno Silva de Oliveira

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Thomas Zehbe on
Hi Bruno,

I have no experience connecting to MySQL, but to PostgreSQL. Mostly if it
didn't work the reason was a misconfigured odbc on Linux. The first thing I
do is to look in the postgres logfile to check, wether the driver has tried
to connect. If it didn't, the configuration wasn't correct.

I suggest to make an empty Database and try the db sample from wxWidgets. If
it doesn't work, your odbc config is the problem.

Regards,

Thomas

--
Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Zehbe
INGENION GmbH

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: "Bruno S. Oliveira" on
Hi Thomas and everyone.

> I have no experience connecting to MySQL, but to PostgreSQL. Mostly if it
> didn't work the reason was a misconfigured odbc on Linux. The first thing I
> do is to look in the postgres logfile to check, wether the driver has tried
> to connect. If it didn't, the configuration wasn't correct.

Unfortunately my application must run on Windows...

It seems that the driver didn't try to connect. But I don't know
what's wrong with the driver configuration...

> I suggest to make an empty Database and try the db sample from wxWidgets. If
> it doesn't work, your odbc config is the problem.

I had already tried that... and it didn't work...

Does anyone know if the mysql connector odbc 5.0.5 works with wx?
If not, which driver I must use?

Isn't there anyone running/developing applications for windows with
mysql database connection? If yes, just tell me which mysql server and
odbc connector should I use...

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

From: Thomas Zehbe on
Hi Bruno,

Have you tried to connect from different apps like access or excel using the
odbc driver? Does this work? If not I would think that it's a mysql related
problem. Is there an adming tool to check wether the database server is alive
or not?

Just some thoughts ...

Regards,

Thomas

From: "Bruno S. Oliveira" on
Hi Thomas and all.

I found another way of achieving my goal. I'm using the functions of
the mysgl.h directly, so I need not to install the ODBC driver in my
machine nor in any other running my application.
But I tried and couldn't achieve the connection to the DB with the wx classes.

On 10/23/06, Thomas Zehbe <tz(a)ingenion.de> wrote:
> Hi Bruno,
>
> Have you tried to connect from different apps like access or excel using the
> odbc driver? Does this work? If not I would think that it's a mysql related
> problem.

Well, I didn't try that but I don't think that it was it. I'm sure it
was something I didn't care about... for I'm a beginner in this.

> Is there an adming tool to check wether the database server is alive or not?

Anyway, the control center tool showed that everything (server and
data base) was fine.

> Just some thoughts ...
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas